covid-19-coronavirus-mask-rittenhouse-square-philly
Pennsylvania has recorded a total of 426,444 COVID-19 cases as of Dec. 7 Credit: Max Mester

Pennsylvania reported 12,884 new positive COVID-19 test results on Saturday — the highest daily case count since the start of the pandemic in March.

As infections continue to skyrocket across the country, the Pennsylvania Health Department's daily reports show the state's fourth consecutive day of more than 10,000 positive results. This brings the statewide case count total to 426,444 as of Dec. 7, with 11,373 reported deaths.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported on Saturday, that in Pennsylvania, 1,065 patients were in intensive-care units as a result of COVID-19 infections, most of whom were aged 65 and older. For the week ending Dec. 3, the Inquirer reported that the statewide positivity rate was 14.4%.

The state also reported a significant increase in positive cases among younger age groups, particularly 19-year-olds to 24-year-olds.

Positive cases for the virus have increased around the country following travel and visitations that occurred in the week after Thanksgiving.

If case counts and hospitalizations continue to trend upward, Pennsylvania officials have said they may announce additional COVID-19 mitigation measures in the coming days to clamp down on the surge, the Inquirer reported. Pa. Governor Tom Wolf said he would aim for targeted restrictions rather than broad shutdown orders, and maintained that it will continue to be largely be up to individuals to follow the restrictions.