huntsman-hall-wharton-tables-students-working
Students can apply for a work-study position this summer regardless of whether they are enrolled in summer courses. Credit: Kylie Cooper

With summer sessions online for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, Penn will offer a limited summer work-study program for eligible students.

Student Employment Manager John Rudolph from Student Registration and Financial Services wrote in an email to work-study students that students can apply for a work-study position this summer regardless of whether they are enrolled in summer classes. The Student Employment Office, however, anticipates fewer available work-study positions than under normal conditions. 

Rudolph wrote that approval for summer work-study funding does not guarantee students will be able to find a remote job through the work-study program.

The Summer Federal Work-Study Program will run from May 18 to August 23. Work-study students will receive $3,000 for either six-week summer session or $6,000 for both summer sessions, according to the application. Currently enrolled students, except graduating seniors, can apply for work-study funding and must do so by June 30.

The only off-campus employers the summer work-study funding will apply to is nonprofit organizations and government agencies, according to the application. All employers are required to have an off-campus work-study agreement with Penn.

Penn also announced on Tuesday that the University will provide undergraduate students whose financial aid packages include a summer savings expectation with a supplemental COVID-19 Summer Savings Grant for the coming school year. Penn President Amy Gutmann wrote in an email to all undergraduates that the grant will help mitigate the loss of expected income as a result of canceled summer jobs amid the pandemic.