lululemon
The Lululemon pop-up has closed after almost one and a half years. Credit: Sophia Dai

The Lululemon pop-up located on 37th and Walnut streets finally closed its doors after reaching the end of its lease, which was extended two times since the store opened on Penn's campus in July 2018. 

The store was part of Lululemon’s national effort to establish temporary stores, known as pop-ups, on college campuses in order to target students and promote wellness through free events

Yet some students said the store's high prices and low in-store inventory deterred young shoppers. 

The pop-up opened in summer 2018 under a temporary lease and was initially scheduled to close after five months in business. However, the store extended its lease twice before eventually closing on Jan. 31, 2020, Penn's Executive Director of Real Estate Ed Datz wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Datz wrote that the University plans to fill the retail space in the next few months, although there are currently no confirmed tenants.

College junior Riley Wagner said although she enjoys Lululemon, she believes the pop-up model didn't fit well with the needs of the Penn community. Wagner shopped at the Center City location last semester, instead of the campus location, because of their larger inventory. 

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Penn signage now hangs in the windows of the unoccupied retail space.

"When I think of pop-up, I think of something that you only go to once because it's limited time only," she said. "And with Lululemon, there's nothing special about this store compared to its other stores — it's not that special of a concept."

Wagner said she preferred Raxx Vintage, the store that filled the retail space before Lululemon, because of its unique pieces and more affordable price range. 

"It is pretty unaffordable for a lot of people," Wagner added, referring to Lululemon's high prices. 

Penn students expressed concern over the expensive, and therefore exclusive, nature of the brand when the pop-up first opened. A pair of Lululemon leggings can range from $88 to $158, while some sports bras cost upwards of $100.