football-vs-yale-sire-woods
Credit: Gary Lin

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — At halftime, Penn football trails Yale at halftime by a score of 20-13 at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, Conn.

The Penn defense has given up several big plays, despite forcing two Yale three-and-outs.

After the two teams traded punts to begin the game, Yale quarterback Kurt Rawlings was able to get the offense flowing. Rawlings completed a couple of quick passes before launching a deep pass to receiver JP Shohfi, who reeled the ball in for a 30-yard gain. Rawlings subsequently completed a 19-yard pass along the left sideline before proceeding to run the ball in to the end zone himself to give Yale (4-1, 1-1 Ivy) the first lead of the game. 

Trailing 7-0, the Quakers (2-3, 0-2) took over and sophomore wide receiver Owen Goldsbury quickly caught a pass over the middle and held on despite being hit hard by a couple of Bulldogs. Goldsbury, a transfer from Michigan, has received significant playing time at wide receiver this afternoon, despite having played defensive back in Ann Arbor. 

Following the completion to Goldsbury, Robinson had an open receiver down the field but overthrew him on a would-be touchdown, forcing the Quakers to punt.

On their next possession, the Red and Blue slowly marched down the field and eventually found themselves in the red zone. Facing a third-and-goal from the 1-yard line, Robinson threw across his body on a play-action fake to find junior tight end Sire Woods for a touchdown to cap off a 14-play, 78-yard drive. 

After the teams again traded punts, Rawlings scored again, this time on a 37-yard rush, to put Yale in the lead by just six after the extra point was blocked.

Not to be oudone, Penn scored when Brooks took the ball in from the 1-yard line, set up by a 37-yard reception by sophomore Ryan Cragun. The Quakers also had their kick blocked to keep the score tied.

Credit: Gary Lin

Yale then drove 75 yards in just 56 seconds to take the lead before the half. Rawlings completed all three of his passes to become the Yale all-time leader in touchdown passes. 

In the locker room at halftime, Penn will likely discuss reducing penalties in the second half, as they have already been committed four through two quarters of play.

Having deferred the opening kickoff, the Quakers will get the ball to start the third quarter and will look to come away with the victory. 

Check out the full game recap here.