699352c0-951f-4682-ac4e-a51122120e43-original
The message included the outpouring of support the center has received in the past week. Credit: Megan Jones

Counseling and Psychological Services released its first statement on Sept. 13 since the death of Executive Director Gregory Eells, mourning his death and reminding the Penn community that CAPS is still available for those looking to seek out support.

The message included the outpouring of support the center has received in the past week. It read that CAPS employees were both receiving care and caring for each other following Eells' death.

"Greg’s leadership and compassion for others has made a lasting impact on us all, across the Penn community and at counseling centers around the country," the statement read. "He was loved and respected by us and so many others who knew him. We come together in knowing that he is missed and that his life and contribution is meaningful."

In the wake of tragedy, the statement urged students not to bottle up their feelings in tough times.

"Remember to pay attention to these emotions, to be kind to yourself and, most importantly, to seek help and support from a mental health professional, a cultural or spiritual resource, and from loved ones," the statement read.

"Continue to seek us out if you need mental health care, lean on each other, and reach out to members of our Penn community if you need help. As we are here for each other, we are here for you," the statement added.