school-of-social-policy

The School of Social Policy and Practice (File Photo)

School of Social Policy & Practice and Wharton recently created a new online certificate program to prepare students for leadership roles in social service-based organizations.

The program, called Organizational Leadership in Social Work, will allow participants to take four interdisciplinary courses that are related to a future in social service-based organizations, The Almanac stated. The program, which launches on May 1, will be available to current SP2 students and alumni.

The courses are made up of different modules with videos, readings, and other online tools, demanding two to four hours per week of work for each course. The courses, which can be taken at any time and completed at a student's own pace, cover topics such as organizational management, marketing strategies, and social work values.

The certificate program is free for current SP2 students, while SP2 alumni will need to pay $159 for the four-course program or $49 for each individual course. Participants will receive a professional certificate from both schools upon completion. 

SP2 Dean Sally Bachman told The Almanac that this program was created as an initiative of Penn Compact 2020, which Penn President Amy Gutmann referred to as the University's "2020 vision."

Bachman said the program includes the campaign’s three major aspects of impact, inclusion, and innovation, to give current students and alumni the "transdisciplinary skills and resources needed to become the world’s foremost leaders of social change.”

Professors in SP2 and Wharton formulated the program and its courses, including Master of Social Work Program lecturer Jason Miller, Marketing professor Jonah Berger, Accounting professor Christopher Ittner, and Accounting professor Richard Lambert.