gse

Penn's Graduate School of Education was ranked second in the nation by the U.S News & World Report.

Credit: Naati Hamda

U.S. News & World Report released its 2020 rankings of graduate schools across the country, with several of Penn’s graduate schools taking top spots.

The Wharton School was ranked as the country's top full-time MBA program, rising from third place last year. This is the first time Wharton has solely held the top position, and the increase is largely due to its strong employment rates and high starting salaries.

Penn's Graduate School of Education also rose in the rankings: The school placed second in the nation, following Harvard University. Last year, Penn GSE tied for fourth place with Stanford University.

The School of Nursing also ranked third for its master’s degree program, following Johns Hopkins University, and Duke University. This is a one-spot increase from last year. In March 2018, Penn Nursing was also recognized as the world's top nursing school for the third year in a row by UK higher education consultancy Quacquarelli Symonds.

The Perelman School of Medicine also placed highly in the U.S. News rankings, tying for third best medical school for research with the School of Medicine at Stanford University. This is an increase of three spots from the 2019 ranking, where Penn's Medical School placed sixth. In the 2020 ranking, Penn was preceded by the Medical School at Harvard University and the School of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University.

Penn Law School ranked seventh in the nation, with Yale, Stanford, and Harvard ranked as having the three best full-time law programs.

Of all the major categories, Penn's School of Engineering and Applied Science placed lowest. The school was ranked 17th among engineering programs throughout the nation, a one-spot increase from last year. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and University of California-Berkeley led this year's rankings.

According to U.S. News, the rankings are calculated using a combination of "expert opinions" and statistical measures such as average standardized test scores and employment rates.