uber-driver
File Photo

Philadelphia is ranked as the city with second most aggressive drivers.

A March 2019 study conducted by GasBuddy, which is an app designed to save drivers money on fuel, analyzed the 30 largest metropolitan areas in the United States to create a list of the 10 cities with the most aggressive drivers. Los Angeles took the top spot, with Sacramento and Atlanta following Philadelphia. Phoenix was ranked No. 13, Washington D.C. was ranked No. 20, and New York was ranked No. 23 of the 30 metropolitan areas surveyed. Four of the cities on the list are in California. 

The data was evaluated on the frequency of speeding, hard braking, and swift acceleration in order to measure aggressiveness. The findings were compiled from data tracked by the Drivers feature on the GasBuddy app that the drivers installed.

Philadelphia drivers are 21.8 percent more aggressive than the average U.S. driver, while Los Angeles drivers are nearly 22 percent more aggressive, according to the report prepared by GasBuddy. Philadelphia also had the most hard-braking incidents out of any city, according to GasBuddy's report. Drivers in Philadelphia use hard-braking 24 percent more than the average driver in the United States.

Another key takeaway from the study was termed "Frustrated Fridays." Across the board, 14 percent more aggressive driving events occurred on Fridays compared to the national daily average. The fewest aggressive driving incidents occurred on Wednesdays.

In October 2018, Philadelphia was ranked at No. 191 for Allstate’s 200 cities with the safest drivers. Another 2018 study by WalletHub ranked the city No. 97 in its list of the 100 best-to-worst cities for driving.