philadelphia-skyline
Credit: Sam Holland

Philadelphia was named 2018’s “City of the Year” by GQ Magazine in its December issue. 

In the article, titled “Philly (Is) Special," GQ writer and Philadelphia native Zach Baron reflected on the city's culture and people. Baron praised the Philadelphia Eagles' 2018 Super Bowl win, District Attorney Larry Krasner's progressivism, and the city's food culture in his piece.

"Eagles players became activists, speaking out about the flawed criminal-justice system. Donald Trump disinvited the team from visiting the White House out of spite; our mayor, Jim Kenney, then called our president 'a fragile egomaniac obsessed with crowd size.' Our recently elected district attorney, Larry Krasner, is the most progressive D.A. in the entire country. Our restaurants now regularly grace *Bon Appétit'*s Best New Restaurants list," Baron wrote.

"It just feels…different in Philadelphia these days. Downright victorious, even," he added.

The Philadelphia-themed article also included interviews with Krasner, Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, Philadelphia native and rapper Meek Mill, and Cristina Martínez, chef and co-owner of restaurant South Philly Barbacoa.

This is not the first time the city has received notable recognition.

In 2015, the city was the first in the United States to be named a World Heritage City, and in 2016, travel guide publisher Lonely Planet named Philadelphia the best place to visit in the country. Forbes also recently ranked Philadelphia as one of the “10 Coolest U.S. Cities to Visit in 2018."

In previous years, Philadelphia has hosted major events like Pope Francis’ 2015 visit to the United States and the Democratic National Convention in 2016.