sprint_quarterback_jenkins

Penn sprint football junior quarterback Eddie Jenkins will look to help the Quakers start their season off strong against Mansfield. (File Photo)

The calendar’s flipped to September. The leaves are beginning to change color. The weather is starting to cool. 

Yes, it’s that time of year again. Football is back.

After a strong 6-2 season last fall, Penn sprint football returns to action this Saturday when the team travels across the state to take on Mansfield.

Mansfield, a team the Quakers defeated last year 35-13, is the first of many stops on the long road to a Collegiate Sprint Football League (CSFL) title, and with the loaded roster that the Red and Blue return from the 2017 season, that title is more than just a long shot. 

Leading the charge for Penn is quarterback Eddie Jenkins, who, in his first season at the helm, was a First Team All-CSFL honoree. The junior is the epitome of a dual threat; he has a strong and accurate arm, allowing him to throw the ball on time and on target. He’s equally dangerous with his legs — his 408 rushing yards were second on the team a season ago. 

“He’s very quick, and he can both throw and run the ball,” coach Bill Wagner said. “He also makes very quick decisions, and we put him in the position to make important reads about whether to throw or run.” 

Thus far in the offseason, Jenkins has proven himself capable of shouldering that added responsibility.

“Every day at practice, I try to bring some energy and some leadership, like trying to help younger guys figure out what to do on offense, and a lot of that comes just from the fact that I’ve been with the system for a full season, so I know our offense much better,” Jenkins said. “It has helped me to be confident and to lead our younger guys more easily.” 

But this Penn offense is more than a one-man wrecking crew, as a trio of dangerous and versatile seniors flanks Jenkins in the attack. At running back, Max Jones and Jake Klaus combine to form arguably the most dangerous ground game in the league, and through the air, receiver Aidan Kelly has established himself as a consistent threat to opposing defenses. 

“Obviously, to be surrounded by those guys that have been there for four years is a blessing,” Jenkins said. “They’re ready for a great senior year, and I’m excited to have another year under my belt. Compared to last year, I really feel that I know the offense much better, and I think that the whole offense is set to have a really good season.” 

Of course, football games are not just won on the offensive side of the ball. Fortunately for the Quakers, their defense is as stout as their offense is explosive. 

“Our defense looks very strong right now. Our two senior captains, [Tom] Console and [Guiseppe] Bevacqua, along with senior inside linebacker James Juliano, form a strong senior group that should be really solid,” Wagner said. “If everyone stays healthy, we should have a really, really good defense.”

While title contention in the CSFL usually boils down to a three-team race between Penn, Army, and Navy, the Red and Blue would be remiss if they were to take Mansfield lightly this weekend, a fact that is by no means lost on the team. 

Wagner, when speaking of his opponent, highlighted all the changes that differentiate this year’s Mansfield team from the squad that went up 13-0 on Penn last year before faltering as the game went on. Among the changes, Wagner mentioned that Mansfield will be led by a new head coach and that this coach has brought in over 40 recruited freshmen. Additionally, Wagner anticipates an exciting atmosphere playing under the lights, one that will surely have the Mansfield players excited and ready to play. 

The key, according to Wagner, is to “anticipate their excitement” and to weather that emotional storm, just as the Quakers did so successfully last season.