jakeklaus

Sophomore running back Jake Klaus (20) found the end zone in the first quarter for Penn sprint football, putting the squad up, 14-0.

Credit: Peter Ribeiro

For Penn sprint football, it’s like deja vu all over again.

In their third game of the season, the Quakers stuck to the formula that has worked all year — a quick start, strong aerial attack and forcing turnovers on defense — en route to a 33-12 rout of Franklin Pierce. Penn (3-0) remains undefeated after its first three games for the first time since 2010.

The Quakers shot out of the gate again, scoring touchdowns on their first two drives. The first drive featured sophomore Chaz Augustini, whose 15-yard rush set up a 26-yard touchdown reception from senior quarterback Mike McCurdy.

Sophomore running back Jake Klaus punched in the second touchdown with a five-yard run on a drive highlighted by a 56-yard connection between McCurdy and sophomore receiver Aidan Kelly.

The defense was stout early on, forcing the Ravens (1-2) into two three-and-outs on the first two drives. The defense also got involved in the scoring in the first quarter, with sophomore Tom Console recovering a fumbled punt snap in the end zone for a touchdown before the team recorded a safety on a Patrick Boyle sack.

“We went up to Franklin Pierce and played outstanding in first quarter,” coach Bill Wagner said. “We shut them down, we made some key plays on defense, and then McCurdy had a real nice touchdown pass to Augustini. All this was happening in the first quarter and we kind of fed off of that, so I was excited to see the offense and defense really pick it up in the first half.”

All told, the Penn defensive unit outscored the Ravens offensive unit 8-6 in the first quarter while only allowing a net total of 17 yards, helping the Quakers jump out to an early 23-6 lead that would not be relinquished.

“It’s been that way,” Wagner said about the defense. “They’ve done a great job so far, the two safeties did a great job, our corners shut down their receivers. ... They really play together; they really play good team defense.”

The Red and Blue added to their lead in the second quarter with a Mario Del Cueto field goal and a 26-yard TD pass from McCurdy to junior Marcus Jones, putting the squad up a resounding 33-6 at the half.

In the second half, the Quakers’ pulled many of their starters, leading the defense to take center stage. The unit came up big, with four second half interceptions for a total of six forced turnovers, several of which halted Franklin Pierce drives deep in Penn’s territory. The defense’s only blemish in the second half came a fourth quarter touchdown, and even that came with a positive — senior Ed Cai blocked the Ravens’ extra point try.

“I think that by the time we got into the second half the lead was pretty big and we ended up playing a lot of people in the third and fourth quarter,” Wagner said. “I was happy we won and that we were able to overcome injuries, and we had some young guys who stepped up and played outstanding.”

The continued momentum could not come at a better time for the Red and Blue, who on next Friday will face their biggest challenge of the season in an undefeated Navy squad that has outscored its three opponents, 144-20.

“It builds tremendous momentum,” Wagner said about the victory. “They all realize that it’s right in front of them. We already went through one service academy and everyone always says that in order to win a championship you have to beat one of them. We have a title game for ourselves Friday night.”

And for Penn, the formula for that game is simple: wash, rinse and repeat.