According to The Dartmouth, the university’s Greek Leadership Council recently created a rush financial policy that bans all Greek houses from considering students’ financial needs when sending bids.

Previously, Greek organizations were informally banned from considering prospective members’ financial situations, The Dartmouth reported. Nonetheless, with criticism of the Greek system being elitist, there were suspicions of organizations taking into account financial information when making decisions, the article said.

The university’s Greek life has been called a “haven for the rich that imposes high costs for membership to keep out poor students,” according to The Dartmouth. The policy comes in an effort to suppress these rumors, and to clear up that bids are given based on personality traits rather than socioeconomic status.

Even with the policy and efforts to make Greek life available to anyone who is interested, complications persist. Individual Greek organizations still hold the power to determine financial aid eligibility on a case-by-case basis, the article said.

This is just the start of the council’s greater effort to have a full financial aid and scholarship program instilled by next term, The Dartmouth added.