screen_shot_20160906_at_23721_am

This is the third time that Copabanana has been found with a violation, but the first time it has been shut down.

Credit: Avalon Morell

Copabanana’s South Street location was ordered to temporarily shut down for a series of health violations, the third time this year the restaurant has closed for health-related reasons, according to a Philadelphia Inquirer article, on Thursday, Sept. 2.

The location at the intersection of 40th and Spruce streets is a separate entity and is not affected by the violations, a Copabanana employee, who did not give her name, said in an interview.

Due to repeated health-code violations, Court of Common Pleas Judge Nina Wright-Padilla ordered the South Street restaurant to cease operations for 48 hours.

“We’ve had a few repeat violations, but some of them weren’t health issues,” South Street Owner Dan Christensen told the Inquirer. The South Street location did not return a phone call requesting comment.

In the most recent inspection, conducted on Aug. 31, the Philadelphia Department of Health found mouse droppings in the kitchen and observed an employee touching ready-to-eat food with his bare hands, both of which were repeat violations. Other infractions included improper food storing temperatures and a missing lid on an indoor trash receptacle.

Health Department sanitarians have visited the establishment eight times this year, finding persistent issues in each re-inspection.

The South Philadelphia restaurant, which has served burgers, fries and margaritas for 37 years, was also ordered to pay $4,020 in overdue inspection fees in addition to a $500 re-inspection fee, if it is to reopen.