11102009copa_shooting
Shooting at 40th and Spruce Credit: Rachel Baye

Corey Gaynor, who murdered a man outside of Copabanana in April 2014, was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday afternoon.

In the early morning hours of April 15, 2014, Gaynor shot 31-year-old Timothy Cary at least 10 times at point-blank range. The shooting occurred near 40th and Spruce streets.

Cary was brought to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead at 1:43 a.m. that morning.

A jury in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County deliberated for two-and-a-half days before declaring the 28-year-old Gaynor guilty of first-degree murder, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. The judge in the case, Lillian Ransom, then immediately sentenced him to life in prison.

“The conviction today is in no small part due to the excellent evidence presented to the jury and the court,” Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

In an interview after Gaynor’s conviction, Rush reflected on the Division of Public Safety’s quick turn-around time after spotting the shooting. DPS first became aware of the incident after PennComm operators noticed the gunshots on closed circuit television monitors. Penn Police were on the scene within minutes of the shooting, following Gaynor after he fled south on 40th Street, dropped his semiautomatic weapon and ran west on Pine.

Gaynor had been charged with multiple crimes before the shooting related to unlawful possession of a firearm. He was also charged with various drug-related crimes and for receiving stolen property.

With his conviction on Wednesday, Rush said “this individual will no longer be a threat to the Philadelphia community.”

This article was last updated at 11:17 p.m. Check back for updates.