the_atlantic

Dr. James Hamblin, a senior editor at The Atlantic, discussed public health and journalism at a lecture on campus this Tuesday.

Credit: Animata Sy

On Tuesday, about 120 Penn students got a taste of a doctor-turned-journalist.

Dr. James Hamblin, a senior editor at The Atlantic, gave a lecture on public health and journalism. College senior and President of the Wharton Undergraduate Healthcare Club Imran Cronk organized the event with the support of the International Business Review, the MdX Program and the Penn Undergraduate Biotech Society. 

Cronk said the club wanted Hamblin to speak to students because he has a medical degree but chose to pursue writing instead of patient care. Cronk added that Hamblin’s perspective may help pre-med students think more broadly about their career options.

“There are other ways to be a part of the healthcare system,” Cronk said.

During his lecture, Hamblin explained that the factors that contribute to good health are complex — they involve not just physical but also psychological and societal aspects like poverty and education. He said in writing it is important to know how to reach your audience, wherever it may be, and to provide a fresh perspective on topics.

“It is all about adding value to what is being said,” he added.

Hamblin explained that writers need to get their readers enthusiastic enough about their stories that they will recommend them to others.

“You need to write stories that people want to share on Facebook,” he said.

Writing in simple terms tends to better capture readers’ attention, he said, and providing too many facts may not convince them but instead further discourage them from following positive health guidelines. One of Hamblin's goals is not to scare people while addressing serious health issues.

Hamblin noted that journalism has taught him to accept that there are many things he doesn’t know but that he has to continuously seek answers. “You have to be comfortable being wrong,” he said.

Natalie Au, a College junior, said she attended Hamblin's lecture because she was interested in his diverse career background. She said the talk inspired her to “write so well that you can move people to change rather than just telling them to change.”

“I enjoyed how personable he was, and I think that’s one his strengths,” said College senior Donald Sonn, who also helped organize the event.

Nirupa Galagedera, a College junior, said she learned about the power of journalism. “It was really refreshing to see how journalism and social media can be used to shape people’s health,” she said.