Mayor Michael Nutter and Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey announced on Nov. 9 that the police department would be shuffling 36 command positions within the department. Most of these shifts are occurring due to reorganization, promotions and retirements of high-ranking officials, according to a press release by Corporal Frank Domizio.

On the same day, the Philadelphia Police Department Promotional Ceremony was held at Temple University to recognize the newly appointed personnel.

In the coming months, four of the nine deputy commissioners will be leaving the department. According to the press release, the responsibilities of those positions will be consolidated into one deputy commissioner, Denise Turpin.

According to CBS, out of the 21 police districts in Philadelphia, seven are being assigned new captains.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush is positive about the upcoming changes that will affect the Penn Patrol Zone.

“We look forward to welcoming the new inspector for the Southwest Division, which covers our patrol zone,” Rush said in an email.

“Our working relationship with Commissioner Ramsey and his command staff will continue to be productive and a win-win relationship,” she added.

According to the press release, “a police organization in today’s world must be flexible … to the demands of the community it serves.”

Ramsey told The Philadelphia Inquirer that the changes were made to make the department more efficient.

Additionally, Ramsey addressed past issues of corruption the department has faced. For instance, Deputy Commissioner William Blackburn, who has been involved in two federal lawsuits since May, is being moved to handle administrative matters under Deputy Commissioner Nola Joyce.

The press release by Domizio stated that the changes will “assure the community a professional and ethical police department.”

John McNesby, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5, commends the adjustments.

“There’s some good moves in there,” he said in a press release. “A lot of people going into key positions.”