princeton_uk
Brandon Knight takes a shot in the first game of the 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament, against Princeton, at the St. Petersburg Times Forum, in Tampa, Fl. Knight scored two points, the final two of the game. Photo by Latara Appleby | Staff

On an NCAA tournament opening day filled with drama, Princeton fell just shy of adding to its storied history of upsets.

The 13th-seeded Tigers lost to fourth-seeded Kentucky, 59-57, on a last-second shot by Brandon Knight — the star freshman’s only bucket of the game.

Though the Wildcats (26-8) entered the East Regional second-round matchup as 13-point favorites, the game remained close throughout. Princeton (25-7) trailed by one at halftime and tied the game on a jumper by senior guard Dan Mavraides with 38 seconds left.

Knight, a former McDonald’s All-American guard, ran down the clock before getting a screen from junior guard Darius Miller. Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year Kareem Maddox switched onto Knight, who raced past the 6-foot-8 forward and floated a layup off the backboard with two seconds left.

Maddox’s subsequent near-fullcourt heave at the buzzer fell way short.

The loss dropped the Tigers’ all-time NCAA tournament record to 13-28 — in their first appearance since 2004 — meaning they remain tied with Penn in program tourney wins (the Quakers are 13-25).

One of those 13 Princeton victories came in 1996, when current coach Sydney Johnson led the team as a player to a monumental 43-41 upset over defending national champion UCLA. The following year — Johnson’s senior season — the Tigers lost to fifth-seeded California by just three.

They topped fifth-seeded UNLV in 1998 for their last tournament win.

The 13-year drought almost ended Thursday, as Princeton shot 46 percent from the floor and turned the ball over just six times. Surprisingly, the Tigers outrebounded the athletically superior Wildcats, 28-26.

As usual, Princeton stayed in the game with a balanced offensive attack. The team’s four double-digit scorers — Maddox, Mavraides, junior guard Douglas Davis and sophomore forward Ian Hummer — all reached double digits, led by Mavraides’ 14 points.

Hummer, named second-team All-Ivy last week, posted 11 points and eight rebounds.

But the underdogs couldn’t contain Kentucky’s six-foot-10, 275-pound forward Josh Harrellson, who pulled in 10 boards and posted 15 points on 7-for-8 shooting.

The win improved the Wildcats’ all-time tourney record to 104-46, including 13 Final Fours and seven championships. They advanced to a Saturday matchup with fifth-seeded West Virginia, which topped Clemson Thursday.