Yale University is debating a campus-wide smoking ban — a measure by which it would join almost 500 colleges and universities across the nation that are already smoke-free, according to the American Nonsmokers’ Rights Foundation.

The motives behind this ban may be noble — it would reduce environmental toxins and promote health.

But the impracticality of enforcing the prohibition — especially in an urban area like New Haven — outweighs the possible benefits. Few of the campuses that are smoke-free are located in major cities.

Here at Penn, we have a policy that bars people from smoking within 20 feet of any University facility — a ban that is largely ignored by the community.

Trying to ensure that no one smokes on urban campuses such as those of Yale or Penn would be an exercise in futility and a misuse of resources. We instead encourage universities located in cities to use those resources to continue educating their communities about the health hazards associated with smoking and promoting smoking cessation programs.

What do you think about the practicality of a campus-wide smoking ban? Comment below or send us a letter to the editor: letters@theDP.com.