03032010_matt_amalfitano038
Matt Amalfitano is running for UA President. His informal speech in Cohen Hall today drew students from a variety of organizations, including international students, MERT, among others. Credit: Michael Chien

The race for Undergraduate Assembly President is underway, with UA Vice Chair for External Affairs and College junior Matt Amalfitano launching his campaign at a town hall meeting Wednesday night.

At the event, Amalfitano outlined his platform, including both future plans and what he has already accomplished.

Using his campaign motto “Bringing Penn Together, Getting Things Done,” Amalfitano explained what he hopes to accomplish if elected, including increasing student support at athletic events and the number of common spaces available for students on campus.

“Things at Penn are really decentralized,” he said. “Everyone feels a sense of belonging to their fraternity or sorority or club, but they’re not passionate about belonging to Penn. That needs to change.”

College junior and current UA Associate Member Grant Dubler, who announced his candidacy a week ago, addressed some of the same issues as Amalfitano, including late night dining and school spirit.

Dubler’s platform is based on the “pursuit of policies fair to all students, to have them treated as partners in the University, which is what they are,” he said last week.

Amalfitano stressed that what he is planning to implement are tangible initiatives.

“The important difference is why someone would be a good president and why someone should be president,” he said. “I have experience on campus and tangible plans. These two things combined are what make me the best candidate.”

Wharton junior Michael Feliu, one of Amalfitano’s closest friends, agrees.

“I’ve seen his dedication first-hand,” Feliu said. “I would complain about stuff at Penn to him, and the next week he would bring it up at the UA.”

College freshman Stuart Goldberg, who has Amalfitano as his residential advisor, said this was what set Amalfitano apart.

“He’s been an unbelievable role model,” Goldberg said. “Being an RA has exposed him to freshmen and the issues they face, so he’s aware of our needs as well as those of upperclassmen.”