Princeton football coach Roger Hughes led his team to a solid 23-11 win over Dartmouth on the road in the last game of the 2009 season.

But it wasn’t enough for him to keep his job.

Hughes was fired yesterday after going 47-52 in 10 years for the Tigers, including a 4-6 (3-4 Ivy) season this year.

“The University has determined that a fresh start in the football program is needed,” Princeton Athletic Director Gary Walters announced in a press release.

Hughes won an Ivy championship in 2006, but had gone 4-6 in each of the last three years.

Saturday, the Tigers were led by junior running back Kenny Gunter (173 yards and two touchdowns) and junior linebacker Steven Cody (nine tackles and a sack).

Harvard 14 Yale 10

Coaching in his first edition of The Game, Yale coach Tom Williams made a gutsy call on fourth down that came back to hurt his squad.

In the 126th playing of Harvard-Yale rivalry, Yale dominated the first three quarters before a fourth-quarter Crimson touchdown made the score 10-7 Yale. Facing a fourth and 22 with under three minutes remaining, the Bulldogs decided to run a reverse punt fake, but were stopped seven yards short.

Just three plays later quarterback Collier Winters hooked up with receiver Chris Lorditch for the go-ahead touchdown, as the Crimson stunned the host Bulldogs, 14-10.

Williams took full blame for the loss, which was the eighth of the last nine for Yale (4-6, 2-5 Ivy) against Harvard (7-3, 6-1). The Crimson set an Ivy record with their ninth straight season of at least seven wins.

Columbia 28 Brown 14

Columbia freshman quarterback Sean Brackett had 171 rushing yards on 20 carries and 151 passing yards with a touchdown in the Lions’ 28-14 win over Brown Saturday.

Yet coach Norries Wilson specifically pointed to the seniors as responsible for the Lions’ first home win over the Bears (6-4, 4-3 Ivy) since 1996.

“Today they went out the right way,” he told reporters after the game. “I’m proud of this team and their effort.”

The star senior for the Lions (4-6, 3-4) was no surprise: All-Ivy receiver Austin Knowlin. He had both a rushing and receiving touchdown, tallying 109 all-purpose yards.