ug0f1l5k
The owner of Naked Chocolate says it has been doing booming business since the store opened at 34th and Walnut streets.

Business has been anything but usual for Tom Block lately.

Block opened the Naked Chocolate Cafe near 34th and Walnut streets a little more than a week ago - but he hadn't expected that he would be almost overrun with business in such a short time.

"We're having a lot of trouble keeping up," Block said.

The store's seven tables and 28 chairs are, at times, simply not enough to accommodate the number of patrons.

Area residents have flocked to the store to taste the decadent, high-end chocolate products sold, and Block has found it increasingly difficult to serve all of his customers.

"Our sales right now are out-stripping our ability to produce," said Block, who, in addition to owning a Naked Chocolate on Walnut and Juniper streets, is waiting to open another location at 18th and Chestnut.

"I didn't take it for granted that we'd be an instant success, but right now, we're beyond our expectations for the first week," he said. Block said it is too soon to tell how the store is doing financially.

With its coffee, cookies, cupcakes and white, light and dark chocolates, the store has become a huge attraction for students and residents in the area.

Some of the hottest-selling store products are the signature hot drinking chocolates.

Block said the store is in the process of getting a larger kitchen installed to better keep up with customer demand.

He said the Chestnut street location was originally slated to open before the University City venue, but paperwork and construction have held that project up a bit.

Block said he took a few trips to Europe to find the right inspiration for his store and to pick up some chocolate manufacturing practices.

"We try to do this with a bit of European flair," he said.

College junior Colleen Opdyke has been through Naked Chocolate's doors six times since it's been open and has invited everyone from her mother to her boyfriend to taste the cupcakes because, "they're probably the best I ever had," she said.

"I would recommend it to anyone," she said.

Velika Nespor, a College freshmen and resident of Hill College House, said she likes living so close to the store, and has stopped by six times herself.

Her weakness in the store, she said, is "the overpriced truffles."

Another Naked Chocolate fan is Wharton junior Romy Fuchs, who said the treats are "something to look forward to after class."

College senior Rachel Gogel, who was visiting the store yesterday with Fuchs, said it's a welcome addition to the area.

"Sometimes we just get in the mood for chocolate," she said.