lv54g67t
The deadline for residents to renew leases at the Radian at this year's rate is Nov. 15.

According to some Radian residents, the luxury complex has not quite lived up to its lofty price and reputation.

Initially touted for its state-of-the-art accommodations and convenient location, complaints about the Radian have become more common, with many suggesting the building is unattractive, ill-equipped or generally overrated.

Now, more than two months after move in and as residents consider whether or not to renew leases for next year, some are speaking up about what they think the builders could have done better.

The deadline for residents to renew their leases at this year's rate is Nov. 15.

A building manager said about 100 students not living in the Radian this year have expressed interest in the complex for next year. The number of students who have renewed their leases was not available.

College sophomore Claire Beveridge said what she dislikes most about the building are the uncovered concrete floors and said builders "definitely could've done the inside better."

"It looks like there's flattened gum on the floors," said Beveridge, who lived in Hill College House last year.

Engineering junior Erik Skirkanich expressed similar sentiments about his four-bedroom apartment.

"The concrete's not too appealing, even though it's supposed to be in style," Skirkanich said. "Everyone else I've spoken with think it's a bit too revealing."

He said the main rooms and hallways had concrete floors and ceilings, with unsightly concrete columns in every bedroom.

Skirkanich has already decided that the Radian is not his first choice for living accommodations next year.

"As of right now, no," he said, in response to whether or not he would renew his lease.

Rachel Kihn, spokeswoman for Radian developer Inland American Communities, defended the building's features but encouraged residents to make their concerns known so that they can be addressed effectively.

"We appreciate our residents' feedback and take their concerns seriously," Kihn wrote in an e-mail.

She wrote that the Architype Review named the Radian a 2008 Notable Project, and the building has been recognized for its stormwater management practices.

"The Radian features an award-winning, minimalist design, with unfinished concrete elements that reflect its urban setting, and we are pleased with the feedback," she wrote.

Despite a few minor concerns, College sophomore Zach Leonsis considers the Radian a vast improvement from living in Hill College House last year.

"There have been a few issues about mail and delivery, but it's nice being the first person to use your own living space," he said.

College sophomore Rebecca Sussman is still deciding whether or not to renew her lease.

"I think it's one of the ugliest buildings around campus," said Sussman, who lived in the Quad last year. "I feel like it's a middle step between living on campus with an RA and living in an off-campus house."

Related StoriesA campus moves forward - NewsCampuses now prime spots for luxury apartments - NewsA little bit of chaos to complicate move-in - News