Wharton named Marketing professor Z. John Zhang the first chairman of the Murrel J. Ades Professorship last week.

Zhang, a Marketing professor who specializes in pricing, retail management and competitive strategies, has been a professor at Wharton since 2002.

Like other endowed chairpersons at Wharton, the Ades Professorship recognizes an exceptional scholar and teacher and provides him or her with continued support and additional research funding.

It also responds to one of Wharton's highest priorities - namely, the recruitment and retention of top-quality faculty, officials said.

The position was established in 2005 with a $2 million gift from Robert Ades, who donated the money in honor of his father, 1925 alumnus Murrel Ades. Robert Ades is the founder of the Washington, D.C. law firm Robert A. Ades and Associates.

"The Murrel J. Ades Professorship is a wonderful way for Mr. Ades to pay tribute to his father's memory while making an impact on Wharton faculty and students for generations to come," Wharton Dean Thomas Robertson said in a statement.

"It is an honor for the School to be a part of the Ades family tradition," he said.