Classical Studies professor Ralph Rosen has been appointed the new Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the School of Arts and Sciences.

Rosen, who has been at Penn for the past 25 years, will be responsible for overseeing the School's doctoral programs, which enroll approximately 2,000 students.

"I think the graduate school of Arts and Sciences is definitely at a high point," he said. "Right now, we're up there with the best when it comes to fellowship support."

Rosen attributed the progress to his predecessors, who worked to increase stipends and fellowships for graduate students, and said that he plans to follow in their footsteps.

In addition, he also hopes to improve the graduate student's teacher-training process.

"Sometimes with all the focus on research, it gets lost that graduate students have careers ahead of them to prepare for as well," he said.

Instead, Rosen wants to create a more nurturing environment to help prepare students for their futures as teachers by increasing mentoring and paying more attention to the student's teaching roles.

"I look forward to working with [Rosen] and am confident that the School's graduate-education mission will be well served by him," said SAS Dean Rebecca Bushnell in a recent press release.

- Cecily Wu