The quality of advisors can really make or break a student's college experience, according to a recent study.

A group of professors from Seton Hall University identified a mentoring gap between male and female chemistry students. Overall, male students were more likely than the female students to recall academic counseling and advice from their advisors as undergraduate and graduate students

Closing the mentor gap, according to the researchers and academic experts, could help encourage and retain more women in traditionally male dominated fields, such as engineering and the physical sciences.

Female students majoring in Penn's physical science departments, such as math and physics, represent only 25 to 30 percent of the departments, said College dean Dennis Deturck. Penn's peer institutions reported similar numbers of around 15 to 40 percent, he added.

In the School of Engineering, women majoring in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Systems Engineering, and Computer Science hover at around 20 percent, though other departments like bioengineering boast ratios closer to the 40 percent range.

In order to address the mentor gap, Cecilia Marzabadi, one of the authors of the study and a chemistry professor, said universities should increase the number of female role models because "it is easier to relate to someone of the same gender."

For College freshman Amelia Ahlgren, having female teachers and a grandmother who was also a math teacher helped convince her to pursue a math major.

David Balamuth, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said that Penn recognizes the importance of female mentors and the University is always looking for more women in leadership positions and faculty.

"The important idea is to . [send] a clear message to women grad students and postdocs that Penn is the kind of place where they can realize their scientific aspirations."

Within the past few years, there has been an increase in female faculty - at least one or two female faculty in every Engineering department, according to Susan Davidson, chair of the Computer Science department.

Individual departments are also initiating programs to make sure students have opportunities to socialize with their advisors and professors, Deturck said.

Last fall the Engineering School launched a program called Advancing Women In Engineering, which creates a support group and active mentoring for female students.

Other initiatives aim to bring female science students in at the high school level. A summer academy program, open to all high school students, encourages students to learn more about applied science and engineering.

Deturck added that undergraduate admissions will take students into consideration that have a "spike interest" in science, but may not be as well-rounded as the typical applicant.