The third shooting of a Philadelphia police officer this week sent the force on one of the largest citywide manhunts in recent history yesterday.

Officers from across the city searched for the gunman who shot and critically injured Philadelphia Police Officer Charles Cassidy, 54, when Cassidy walked into a robbery-in-progress at a Dunkin Donuts on the 6600 block of N. Broad Street at about 10:30 a.m. yesterday.

More than 50 schools and education centers in North and Northwest Philadelphia went into lockdown following the shooting, and La Salle University was also locked down for part of the day.

Penn Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said the shooting occurred too far from campus for Penn Police to take an active role in the search but said Division of Public Safety officials would learn from La Salle's response to the incident.

La Salle used its emergency-alert system to notify the campus about the incident, and Rush said DPS officials would meet with La Salle authorities to discuss how the system worked.

Rush said that, similar to La Salle's response, DPS "would definitely utilize" the new Penn Alert emergency-notification system for any on- or off-campus situation that similarly posed an "immediate danger" to the community.

Rush also expressed concern over the cop shootings that have plagued the city over the past week.

Three Philadelphia Police officers have been shot since Sunday, including an officer who was wounded in a gun battle early Sunday morning outside the Koko Bongo nightclub, located at 38th and Chestnut streets.

The shootings "paint a picture of the total disregard for human life and authority," Rush said. "The bottom line is, there's a lot wrong when individuals in a society feel that it is OK to point-blank try to assassinate police officers that are trying to protect the community."

Cassidy, a 25-year veteran of the Philadelphia Police, is being treated at the Albert Einstein Medical Center. He came out of surgery yesterday afternoon, and doctors tried to reduce swelling in his brain. Last rites, given by a priest when a person is gravely ill, have been administered.

The suspect is described as a 5-foot-11 to 6-foot tall, heavyset black male. He walks with a limp and was wearing a black-hooded sweatshirt, tan khaki pants and tan boots. He also has a spiderweb-like tattoo on his left hand.