Arlen Specter To the Editor: Albert Sun's article on Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.)'s address at College Hall ("Pa. senator slams detainee bill," DP, 10/13/06) conspicuously omitted a key point: Sen. Specter ultimately voted for the bill he so harshly criticized. As Dahlia Lithwick and Richard Schragger reported in The Washington Post, the senator justified this reversal by rationalizing that "the Court will clean it up," a particularly ironic excuse for a bill that specifically strips federal courts of authority over such cases. Whether Specter acknowledged this in his talk or not, fair reporting demanded at least a mention of the contradiction in an article that focused on Specter's stance on the issue.

Brian Decker Third-year Law student

Business etiquette To the Editor: I commend the Wharton Business Plan Competition for bringing together innovative entrepreneurial ideas to assist in India's development ("Etiquette classes for Indian Housewives," DP, 10/10/06). However, I am concerned with Vikas Gupta's suggestion that India's economy will grow if Indian women are taught proper "business etiquette." Not only does this reinforce gender stereotypes in a country where women often lack independence within their own household, but it does little empower Indian women, as Gupta intended. Instead of providing "fashion tips for every Indian housewife," Gupta could provide microcredit to empower poor rural women and increase their financial independence or start teaching ventures to educate the over 200 million illiterate Indian women.

Saken Kulkarni College junior

Math has logic To the Editor: We are writing to voice our disapproval of Agustin Torres' opinion article ("Economists lack logic? Blame the Math department," DP, 10/16/06). The Mathematics department offers a variety of proof-based courses where students sharpen their logic skills: for example, Math 202, 203, 340, 341, 350, 360, 370 and 412. There are also logic courses. If Economics students want to improve their logic, we see three options. The Economics department could require them to take one of the above courses (all of which are accessible to students who have had some calculus). Secondly, the Economics department could teach its own logic course. Thirdly, the Economics students could take the initiative and register for any of the above non-required courses. In any case, you cannot blame the Mathematics department for the decisions and requirements of another department or its students.

Alina Badus and Andrew Bressler The authors are third-year Math graduate students