How does a team overcome the loss of several key players and live up to the unanimous choice to win its conference?

For the Quakers, the answer lies in the four returning starters and their changing roles in the team.

While the loss of the team leader, key role-model and unanimous Ivy League Player of the Year Tim Begley has left a distinct void in the versatile starting lineup that made Penn so successful last season, many returning players are stepping up to fill the vacancy as they prepare to adjust their positions in the dynamic of the starting five.

Eric Osmundson, Mark Zoller, Ibrahim Jaaber and Steve Danley are looking to do just that this season, as they try to help the Quakers claim the Ivy League title for the second year in a row.

Sophomore guard David Whitehurst -- likely the fifth starter if he recovers successfully from ankle surgery -- is coming off of a season when he averaged just 11.9 minutes per game and made five starts.

Osmundson, a senior guard, is expected to take the principal leadership role on the team, both as an offensive and defensive threat, as well as within the team by supporting the other players.

"It's important for him to really play well and to lead us on the court and off the court," Dunphy said. "When times get tough, if we don't play particularly well for a couple games, he really has to step up and lead us."

Osmundson understands his evolving role in the team as well, and is ready for the challenge.

"I have to be the leader; I have to be the extension of Dunphy on the court," Osmundson said.

"In my eyes I think I have to make plays, create plays for everyone else and create scoring opportunities, but more importantly, I have to be strong on the defensive end as well."

Helping Osmundson on defense will be Jaaber, a junior guard.

With 4.6 rebounds per game, 17 blocks, and an Ivy League-record 85 steals last season, Jaaber is certainly expected to have a big defensive impact for the Quakers.

Jaaber also wreaked havoc for opponents on offense last season, scoring 11.5 points per game, second only to Begley.

Jaaber has improved his outside game to the point where he is expected to contribute to the team's perimeter shooting, as is Zoller.

"Mark has gotten his game out to a three point level; before he got hurt he was really scoring the ball very well at different ways, from the perimeter, getting inside. He has a very good knack at playing the game as well."

While Zoller was certainly an offensive threat last season with 9.5 points per game and 30 assists, he was also a major contributor to the Quakers' defense with a team-leading 6.4 rebounds per game.

And with the loss of 6-foot-9 forward Ryan Pettinella, who transferred after last semester, the Quakers will be needing to take full advantage of the size that they have in order to be competitive defensively and in the post.

"With Ryan leaving I think we're a little smaller, but I think that we can make up for that with our smarts and having the veteran guys out there," Osmundson said.

Danley, a junior forward, is also looking to make a big impression this year, and is looking forward to his new position in the team as well.

"The biggest change has been going from a follower to a leader," Danley said. "Being a sophomore, the seniors were always pointing out where I needed to be, what I needed to do. Begley was always pushing me into the right spots and now I'm kind of doing that for the younger guys."

While the starting five have had to make a few adjustments and get comfortable playing with each other, Danley explains that the transition has been fairly uncomplicated.

"I think it's just a matter of getting comfortable with each other," Danley said.

"We practice a lot together and once you get used to the guys everything comes a little easier."

However, this season has already posed a challenge with Whitehurst's September ankle surgery.

"David missing the first two months of workouts hasn't helped us in terms of the chemistry," Dunphy said. "But we'll get there and I think the other four guys understand what their roles are."

Overall, the revamped starting five for the Quakers looks as versatile as it has ever been.

And with four strong starters returning, along with Whitehurst in his first season as a consistent starter, a repeat title seems to be a definite possibility.