After losing a talented group of seniors that wrote a new chapter in the Penn football record books over the past few years, the 2004 Quakers will be forced to bring to the table a totally revamped offensive attack. In total, nine Penn starters are missing from an offense that helped extend Penn's winning streak to 19 games last season. Despite losing the team's quarterback, the Quakers return All-Ivy performers running back Sam Mathews and wide receiver Dan Castles.

QB Quarterback:2003 Ivy League Player of the Year, quarterback Mike Mitchell, bowed out last season after a storied career with the Quakers. This year, Penn coach Al Bagnoli and his staff will turn to junior Pat McDermott, a Yonkers, N.Y., native who has seen spot action in his two years with the team. Bagnoli and company have been lucky to start the top two passers in program history over the last five seasons, and are confident that McDermott can pick up the slack.

"We're comforted by the fact that [Pat has] been in to play," Bagnoli said. "He has some snaps, has some throws and has been somewhat successful."

McDermott threw for 204 yards last year, seeing action in six of Penn's 10 games. Despite the loss of Mitchell, Bagnoli hasn't resigned himself to a one-dimensional run attack.

"Our offense has got to be balanced," Bagnoli said. "We're going to air it out -- we have good receivers, a talented quarterback and a good offensive line that can protect. We have a lot of confidence in Patrick."

RB Running back: In the backfield, junior tailback Sam Mathews looks to repeat his 2003 season in which the Navy transfer rushed for the fourth-most yards in the history of the program. The All-Ivy performer dashed for 1,266 yards on 276 carries, setting the tone for the Quakers' offense early and often. While Bagnoli believes that Mathews represents the team's most formidable force on the ground, he stresses that the Quakers' depth at running back will be one of the team's biggest assets this season.

"We feel like we can go three or four deep and still put out productive kids," Bagnoli said.

Senior Michael Recchiuti, junior Kyle Ambrogi and sophomore Duke transfer Von Bryant look to make an impact this season alongside Mathews. Both Ambrogi and Recchiuti are returning letter winners.

FB Fullback: Leading the way for Mathews this season will be senior Kevin DeSmedt, who brings high praise from Bagnoli.

"Kevin is a terrific player," he said. "The guy blocks, catches the ball, can run inside, runs with power. ... We're very fortunate to have him."

DeSmedt started the last six games for the Quakers last season and has developed into a solid contributor on the offensive side of the ball. Junior Ryan Kwiecinski, a converted quarterback, will get some time in the backfield as well.

WR Wide receiver: While the Quakers are four-deep at running back, the squad may be even deeper at wide receiver. Of Penn's 13 returning wideouts, seven have caught at least one pass during their college careers. Headlining the group is none other than senior All-Ivy honoree Dan Castles, who became only the second receiver in Penn history to reach 1,000 yards last season.

"Danny has established himself as one of the best receivers in the league, and one of the best receivers in history" at Penn, Bagnoli said.

Seniors Matt Makovsky and Gabe Marabella, along with junior Sagar Patel are all returning lettermen who are expected to make an impact this season in the passing game. Sophomore Dan McDonald and freshman Braden Lepisto could see some action as well. According to Bagnoli, the corps could run as many as nine-deep.

TE Tight end: At tight end, junior Matt Boyer and sophomore Chris Mizell both figure into the Quakers' plans this season.

"We had a very good camp from Boyer and from Mizell," Bagnoli said. "We've got two guys who are 6'3, 6'4, 235 or bigger who can catch the ball and are both pretty good blockers." Sophomore Mike Carley may also see some time.

OL Offensive line: Throughout the past few years, a strong, cohesive offensive line has been one of the trademarks of Penn football. This year, many believe that the unit could be the Achilles heel of the squad. Returning only one letterman in senior Erik Curtis, the Quakers will look to a new group of big guys to set the tone up front.

"Our offensive line is a question mark," Bagnoli admitted. "Not so much that we don't have athletic ability, but like at quarterback, we don't have the experience."

Senior Mike Pierce, as well as juniors Greg Williams, Don Snyder and Keith Walewski should expect significant time with the unit as well.

While the offense for the Quakers will be relatively inexperienced, the defense should carry the squad through its Ivy League schedule. Last season, the Red and Blue allowed only 13.2 points per game, and a league record 326.1 yards in the Ancient Eight. Though three key first-team All-Ivy performers are gone, the unit returns a solid core of prime time contributors ready to lead the Quakers to another successful season.

DL Defensive live: Everything starts up front for the Quakers' defense. 2003 All-Ivy selection Michael Sangobowale will anchor a dominant defensive line and will be joined by returning letterwinners in seniors Greg Jones and Steve Small. Sangobowale led all Penn linemen in tackles last year with 38, and added 2.5 sacks to his impressive campaign. Small suffered a season-ending injury last season, but should be full strength as the season begins. Sophomores Mike Meridith and J.J. Stanton should figure into the mix as well.

LB Linebacker: The linebacking corps will be forced to fill the void of three time All-Ivy linebacker Steve Lhotak, who graduated last year. Lhotak was the heart and soul of the Quakers defense last season. On the bright side, the team returns fellow All-Ivy performers in seniors Ric San Doval and Luke Hadden. However, with San Doval and sophomore Mark Herman presently sidelined with injuries, Penn will be somewhat thin on the inside -- at least for the time being.

Bagnoli's staff is looking to junior Chad Slapnicka as well as sophomore Kory Gedin to pick up the slack. On the outside, returning starters Bobby Fallon and Kevin Junge will be back, as will backups Jim Malizia and Al Wawszczyk. At full strength, the linebacking corps as a whole should be strong.

DB Defensive backs: When the Penn receivers and secondary match up in practice, the competition is fierce. Much like the receiving corps, the secondary is by far the deepest position on the Quakers' defensive squad. Back are All-Ivy selections seniors Duvol Thompson and Bryan Arguello, along with 10 other letterwinners from last season. Thompson compiled 43 tackles last season, while Arguello led the Red and Blue with four interceptions. Seniors Seth Fisher and Kevin Stefanski, as well as juniors Scott Williams Adam Francks, Casey Edgar, Michael Johns, Doug Middleton, Victor Davanzo, Kelechi Okere and Brad Martinez should all see time with the Quakers' most experienced unit. Williams is back after spending two years on a mission to South America, while Stefanski and Johns return from injuries that limited their play in 2003. Middleton had 30 tackles last year, while Davanzo, Francks and Martinez combined for 40.

ST Special teams: Senior Josh Appell returns as the Quakers' punter. Appell is two years removed from All-Ivy recognition, but is a reliable fourth down option as well as a solid pitcher on the Penn baseball team. Gone is two-time All-Ivy kicker Peter Veldman, who had been among the league leaders in scoring the past two years. Senior Evan Nolan is expected to take over the team's kicking duties, while Francks and Thompson will share return duties with seniors Matt Makovsky and Jonathan Robinson. Senior Gabe Marabella returns as the holder, while junior Steve Flisler is back as the long snapper.