Zia Mohyeddin is a celebrity in his native Pakistan, though he'll be the last to tell you.

"When people praise my work, I feel genuinely embarrassed," said the actor and noted personality, who has entertained audiences around the world in a career that spans five decades.

Mohyeddin appeared at Meyerson Hall Saturday night and gave a unique performance that was part memoir, part poetry reading.

Mohyeddin has appeared in films such as Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and A Passage to India (1965), as well as numerous theatrical productions.

Although he is an accomplished film star, he is most widely recognized for his voice, which has been compared to "a mixture of dark brown velvet and honey."

Mohyeddin began his talk by referring to this description. "I have no idea what dark brown velvet and honey taste like, for I have never mixed them."

Spicing up his predominantly English performance with selections of poetry in Urdu, Mohyeddin captivated listeners with his mastery of both languages.

Most students were pleased with his presentation.

"He was really charismatic," said Wharton junior Brad Pennington. "Even when he was speaking in Urdu, I felt like English-speakers could get something out of it."

Other students felt the same.

"His humor drove me completely wild," Engineering sophomore Surbhi Puri said.

The event was sponsored by the Penn Pakistan Society, as well as the Underground Shakespeare Company, and attracted an audience of over 150 students, faculty members and other fans -- some of whom drove in from as far away as New York City and Washington, D.C. just to see him.

Wharton senior and President of Penn Pakistan Society Hasham Mehmood said that he hoped the event would have an impact on the Penn community.

"We want to create an image of Pakistan that is genuine and positive and nullifies the stereotypical image that an average Penn person has developed, thanks to the media," he said. "In that sense, Zia Mohyeddin was the most perfect ambassador of Pakistan to Penn."