For some, Katherine Lowe conjures up sweet memories of book discussions and mentoring programs, but for others, the same name means intimidation and insensitivity.

Lowe, dean of Ware College House, will be leaving her current position to join the Office of Alumni Relations as the director of classes and reunions on Jan. 5.

In her five-year tenure as house dean, Lowe has seen over 2,000 residents come and go. Reactions to her departure and to her time as house dean are as varied as they are vehement.

"We will miss her greatly -- her drive, her innovative ideas, her devotion to Ware residents," Faculty Director of College Houses and Academic Services Phil Nichols wrote in an e-mail statement.

Other colleagues, including Leslie Delauter, director of CHAS, expressed similar sentiments.

But some students would beg to differ.

"In reality, she was just a lady on a power trip," said a student who lived in Ware last year and spoke under the condition of anonymity. "I think a lot of the kids felt the same way."

The student, who had been cited for some disciplinary infractions while residing in the house, described her as "very bull-headed and stern... you can't really negotiate with the lady."

Lowe would not comment on the student's remarks because of confidentiality issues.

However, she did say that "house deans are also disciplinarians."

"Theoretically speaking, I would not be surprised to see students speaking up about discipline issues," Lowe added.

College sophomore Gregory Robinson, who lived in Ware last year, said bluntly, "She shouldn't be a house dean."

Robinson filed a complaint against Lowe after an incident last December in which he felt she neglected her duties.

Robinson, who says he was dehydrated at the time due to a case of mononucleosis, passed out in a Ware bathroom, causing a head injury.

"I was in critical condition," he said. "There was blood everywhere."

According to Robinson, Lowe refused to help when his friends pounded on her door, saying,"This is disgusting. I don't have to deal with this."

Delauter confirmed the accident and said that the University conducted an internal investigation into it, but that the investigation found Lowe had acted appropriately and "did make sure staff were taking care of him."

She added that the student's explanation was "sort of distorting the facts."

Lowe has a condition called vasovagal syncope, said Delauter, which causes her to faint at the sight of blood.

Lowe herself confirmed this, saying that she was physically unable to deal with Robinson's accident, and had a residential adviser take care of him.

"What I knew I was doing was taking deep breaths, sitting on the floor," Lowe said. "Dealing with him wasn't an option."

Manisha Gadia, a Ware graduate associate, attested to Lowe's competence, saying, "She's excellent at getting things done."

"In my experience, she's been unbelievable," said Emilie Anderson, another Ware RA who has also been a resident of the college house for over two years.

However, several GAs and RAs in Ware, who wished to remain anonymous, expressed disappointment at some of Lowe's decisions, but declined to discuss details.

"Not every student is going to be predisposed to see good things," Lowe said.

Still, she maintains that she has also had many positive relationships with students, many of whom she has kept in close touch with.