Changes to the Penn Transit pilot programs are expected to be announced today after over 100 medical students raised concerns.

Announced in July, the pilot Penn Transit changes scaled back hours and services to Center City. Removed entirely for riders to Center City was the convenience of individual drop-off points.

Calling the number of complaints "a significant proportion" of the medical student body, President of the Medical Student Government Marc Cohen said that Penn Transit officials "did respond quickly and express a willingness to help."

Yet, Cohen noted that the problem could have been prevented if more student feedback had been employed in the decision to institute the pilot changes.

"I don't think it was appropriate in any way for the changes to be made without advance notice and without including us," the fourth-year medical student said.

While the changes were based on the feedback of an advisory committee, not all of Penn's schools had representation.

Frustrated by the changes, second-year medical student Suzanne Bisceglia also raised concerns about the pilot programs and the input that designed them.

"Apparently there was only one graduate student on the panel that had a say in this whole thing," she said. "I know students around here are really upset; parents are really upset."

While the shuttle service Bisceglia frequented last year allowed students to request where they wanted to be picked up, the buses -- now the only available public transit to Center City -- have specified stops.

"You're just standing in the street by yourself," Bisceglia said, noting that she thought that guards should be present.

"I go home never earlier than midnight," Bisceglia added, noting that medical students have rotations and late-night commitments seven days a week.

Although changes to the transit schedule have not been finalized, Business Services officials note that they are working with students and are flexible to student demands.

Potential solutions include extending the service hours and reinstituting weekend routes, according to Cohen.

Noting that the proposals had not been finalized, Cohen said that the solutions currently on the table "meet most concerns" of the medical student body.

"My understanding is that it would only be for medical students," he said of the proposed extended services. "It sounds like a lot of the funding is coming from our administration."

Although he questioned the fairness of the proposed source of funding, Cohen said he placed the most importance on creating a solution that works for students.

"The issue essentially is that many graduate students live off campus," Cohen said. "To get back and forth to the medical school safely requires transit."