As the song goes: The lights are much brighter there -- you can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares. Such is the draw of the big city -- at least for some.

But when you're alone and life is making you lonely, how exactly can a Penn student reach the haven of downtown Philadelphia?

Depending on your destination, the historical, cultural and entertainment resources of the city are just a bus, cab or SEPTA ride away.

If you plan to stay in West Philadelphia, take LUCY: the Loop Through University City.

This bus' route runs through various attractions in Penn's own neighborhood. However, LUCY only runs Monday through Friday, and its hours are limited. Also, most parts of West Philadelphia are well within walking distance.

For around the clock transportation throughout Philadelphia, SEPTA is your best bet. This subway system has Green Line station stops just outside the gates at the Upper Quadrangle -- on Spruce and 37th streets -- as well as just outside Kings Court/English House at 36th and Sansom streets.

SEPTA will take you to the doorsteps of such hot spots as nearby Rittenhouse Square at 18th and Walnut streets -- an area laden with eateries and coffee shops -- and Marketplace East and the Gallery, a mall near Chinatown.

Often, transfers are required -- and free ones are available at the 30th, 15th and 8th street stops on the Green Line.

On the other hand, if you want to visit South Street -- with all of its bars, restaurants and quirky shops -- SEPTA will require you to take a trolley, the subway and a bus.

In terms of ease and convenience, this section of Philadelphia is most accessible by cab. Fare to South Street is usually about $8 for an approximately 15-minute ride.

In fact, cabs can get you just about anywhere in Philadelphia for approximately the same amount of time and money.

However, for the student on a tighter budget, more parts of Philadelphia are within walking distance than one may initially think.

Rittenhouse Square is a manageable 20-block distance from campus, while South Street is around 30 blocks away.

If you are looking for a way out of the city, rather than traveling farther into it, look no further than 30th Street Station. Amtrak trains will take you to cities around the country, while SEPTA commuter trains run to nearby universities as far away as the University of Delaware in Newark.

For approximately $4 -- depending on your destination and the time of day -- SEPTA brings Haverford College, Villanova University, Bryn Mawr College and other outlying schools into Penn's backyard -- a veritable playground of attractions.