A construction worker fell to his death from the scaffolding on the eighth floor outside of Harrison College House. [Michael Lupoli/Summer Pennsylvanian]

A construction worker fell to his death from scaffolding on the south side of Hamilton College House while working on renovations to the high rise building nearly two weeks ago.

University officials would not release the victim's name, but said that he was in his early twenties.

"Unfortunately on June 27 at [1:40 p.m.] we had an employee... fall from the eighth floor off the scaffold," University Director of Fire and Emergency Services Ted Bateman said, noting that the drop was approximately 85 feet.

The victim was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after the accident.

"The day of the unfortunate incident operations were ceased," Bateman said. "Out of respect for the employee, his family and the other workers at the site, operations were ceased on Monday as well."

The death comes on the heels of a stabbing, which left another construction worker in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

On June 23, David Ingraham, 38, was arrested after allegedly stabbing Sam Hrynczyszn, 25.

The two workers reportedly got into an argument over their work schedules and Ingraham allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed Hrynczyszn three times in the stomach and upper chest.

Ingraham has been charged with criminal attempt to murder, aggravated assault, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person.

Commending the officers on the scene, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush noted that "had it not been for their actions we probably would have had a 26 year old victim who would not have survived."

After the most recent accident, University officials say they are working to improve safety measures at the site.

"There were a number of meetings subsequent to the accident and they included representatives from Penn Public Safety, the general contractor on site, the subcontractor and representatives from Penn Facilities and Risk Management to address... the site safety considerations," Bateman said.

Aiming "to take some remedial action before the site would be open again," the crew has implemented several changes according to Bateman.

These changes include inspections of the guard and end rails on the scaffolding mechanisms at the beginning and end of each work day.

The glazers -- those whose work at the site requires them to be out on the scaffolding -- will also be tied in as per new safety measures.

Bateman also noted that there would be "trained and qualified supervision on the site at all times and all operations -- including the scaffolding operations -- would be monitored throughout the day."

All personnel -- including those who work on the scaffolding -- will be retrained, according to Bateman.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is currently investigating the death.

"Penn Public Safety and other responsible parties at Penn are in constant contact with OSHA," Bateman said, noting that a closing meeting will be held once the investigation is complete.