Penn freshman Remington Chin pitched well in his fourth start of the season giving up one run in three innings of play against Villanova. The Quakers face off against Princeton this weekend at Murphy Field for first place in the Ivy League. [Caroline

Behind the type of offensive onslaught that's fast becoming a habit, the Penn baseball team won its fourth consecutive game yesterday, 11-6, against floundering Villanova.

Senior Steve Glass spurred the attack all day out of the lead-off spot, going 5-for-6 with three runs batted in and a stolen base.

His Quakers (18-11, 9-3 Ivy) have now won seven of their last eight contests heading into this weekend's crucial four-game series with hated rival Princeton.

For the hapless Wildcats (7-21, 2-10 Big East), it was their seventh-straight defeat. The title-hungry Quakers, conversely, are playing their best ball of the season.

Freshman Brian Cirri was the pitcher of record, notching his first career win in his third-ever appearance for the Red and Blue. The righthander worked three innings in relief of starter Remington Chin.

"A game like this is kind of a prep for the weekend against Princeton," said Glass of Chin's abbreviated start. "We expect Remington to be able to throw then. [Today's game] gives him an opportunity to get some work in before the weekend."

The Wildcats struck first as senior Chris Graziano singled off Chin, stole second base, and scored on an error. Though Villanova would load the bases in the inning, Penn's sophomore hurler fought out of the jam.

The Quakers promptly answered, scoring three times in the second and twice more in the sixth to open a 5-1 lead.

With the outcome still in doubt, Penn delivered in the top of the seventh. Another three-run inning -- featuring an RBI single by Glass and a steal of home by sophomore Alex Blagojevich -- extended the advantage to 8-1.

The Wildcats would close the lead to 9-6 in the bottom of the eighth, but Brian Winings came into seal the deal. Freddie Thon grounded into a double play and Jim Gillin struck out to end the inning. Penn would score twice in the top of the ninth to put the game out of reach. Winings recorded his seventh save of the season.

Glass slapped his fifth hit of the game, an infield single that third baseman Danny Poydenis couldn't quite make a play on, in the ninth inning off Mike Ciccotelli.

His five hits were a career best.

"I think I had a couple of good at-bats, and I got lucky on a couple," Glass said. "You're just thankful to have those kind of days when balls are falling in for you."

Glass admitted, however, that this weekend's decisive series was in the back of the Penn team's mind.

"I think everybody is just really focused on Princeton," Glass said. "Nonetheless, it's still nice to beat a Philly team."

Following the victory, all eyes turn properly to the Tigers who, with Monday's sweep of defending Ivy champ Harvard, statistically move into a first-place tie with the Quakers.

Princeton (15-15, 7-1) visits Murphy Field this weekend for four games that will, in all likelihood, determine the Lou Gehrig Division Champion.

The Tigers, who are defending division champions, overcame a lethargic start outside of the conference to find themselves right in the Ivy League hunt.

Thomas Pauly, Princeton's ace reliever, is coming off a torrid stretch that saw him garner Ivy League Pitcher of the Week.

Pauly, who is 4-0 on the season with two saves and an 0.76 ERA, recorded a win and a save over the course of the week. He allowed one hit and one run over five and two-third innings, striking out 11. After picking up an extra-innings win in the opener against Dartmouth, he pitched two and two-third innings in the second -- a 2-0 victory -- to slam the door.

Pauly is one arm in a Princeton stable that will look to quell the hard-hitting Quaker lineup this weekend.

The first of two doubleheaders against Princeton begins on Friday at noon, and will be broadcast on CN8. Saturday's action starts at noon as well.