NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Al Bagnoli was about 10 minutes late for the post-game press conference after the Quakers' 41-20 victory over Yale two days ago. Apparently, he had some trouble finding the press room.

It was the biggest mistake he made all afternoon.

The Quakers have emerged in the past two weeks as a third quarter team, breaking open the Columbia game with a 24-0 quarter and ending any hopes of a Yale upset with a 17-3 third on Saturday.

"Some of it you can't print," Bagnoli said two weeks ago of what he told his team at halftime against the Lions.

Regardless of what Bagnoli tells his team inside the locker room, he totally outcoached Yale coach Jack Siedlecki on Saturday. (Credit assists to offensive coordinator Andy Coen and defensive coordinator Ray Priore, of course.)

Yale's David Knox runs the opening kickoff back for a touchdown? No problem. Penn's Rob Milanese fumbles on the ensuing drive? Don't worry about it.

Two big plays -- produced by excellent calls -- turned the tide of the game permanently in Penn's favor in the second quarter.

On the second play of the second period, Penn quarterback Mike Mitchell and what appeared to be the entire Penn team went to the left side of the field, and Yale followed. Only problem for the Elis is that Matt Michaleski was left wide open and walked into the end zone on an 18-yard reception.

"It was a good call," Siedlecki said. "We didn't have the right guy in the right place."

After a short punt put Penn at the Yale 44, Mitchell threw a screen behind the line of scrimmage to Joe Phillips. The wideout tossed it downfield to a wide open Erik Bolinder, who rumbled in to give Penn a 14-7 advantage.

Phillips is now 3 for 3 for 81 yards and two touchdowns, a ridiculous NCAA efficiency rating of 546.8. In addition to Phillips' two touchdown tosses this year, the Quakers have another trick play -- the hook and ladder -- that went for a score.

It wasn't just offensive playcalling that led to the Red and Blue's success against the Elis. The Penn defense did what it does best once again, stopping a premier running back. Yale's Robert Carr rushed for only 49 yards, a paltry 2.7 yards per carry. Carr came into the contest averaging 146.2 yards per game. In the second half, Carr rushed only three times for a net gain of zero yards.

"They're a good defense," he said. "I felt like we could have moved the ball a bit more, but they find a way to get you."

The only questionable call by the Quakers all day was the decision to go for a fake punt late in the first half. The Quakers were leading, 17-7, at the time.

Penn faced a 4th-and-1 on its own 35 with 47 seconds left and ran a direct snap to Michael Kapusta, who slipped as he began his run and ended up a yard short.

While Yale only got a field goal out of the play, it could have ended up much, much worse for Penn.

"You've got to have confidence in your kids," Bagnoli said. "If you're going to practice those things, you've got to call them. You have to have a little bit of a gambler mentality. The play was there. He just slipped."

Bagnoli didn't back down from his play call. Depending on what you like in a coach, that's either a good thing or a bad thing.

Regardless, the trick play seemed to be an unnecessary gamble for the Quakers and could have made things a lot tougher than they had to be.

Fortunately for Penn, Bagnoli and Co. coached brilliantly throughout the rest of the day, and the Quakers rode out of New Haven with an easy victory.