Miami's Willis McGahee rumbled for a Miami-record four touchdowns in the Hurricanes 44-21 win over Temple at Franklin Field on Saturday. McGahee ran for 134 yards on 21 carries. [Lauren Karp/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

It wasn't a miracle upset, but it wasn't an absolute rout, either.

The Temple football team made things interesting late in the first half against Miami (No. 1 AP, No. 1 ESPN/USA Today), but the Hurricanes pulled away in a 44-21 rout on Saturday at Franklin Field. It was the 25th straight win for Miami.

"We played just a tremendous football team today," Temple coach Bobby Wallace said. "Obviously, they're number one in the nation and well-deserved."

Miami's Willis McGahee dominated the Owls' defense all day, rushing for 134 yards and four touchdowns. The four scores tied a Miami record.

It was McGahee who put the Hurricanes (3-0, 1-0 Big East) up to stay early in the game, plunging in from a yard out 8:55 into the game.

Temple (1-2, 0-1) gave Miami an easy scoring chance when Lawrence Wade fumbled the ensuing kickoff. Miami quarterback Ken Dorsey tossed a nine yard touchdown pass to Kevin Beard to give the Hurricanes a 14-0 lead.

The Owls fought back after falling behind, 21-0, however. A botched snap on Miami's punt attempt gave the Owls a short field, and Tanardo Sharps dove in from a yard out seven plays later.

Sharps cut the lead to seven on a 16-yard touchdown after McGahee fumbled on the Hurricanes' ensuing possession.

"I was excited the fans got into it at that point in time," Wallace said. "That was a great crowd. They were enthused. They were into it."

"There really is no safe lead," Miami coach Larry Coker said. "I think that's something you learn."

Miami got a 31-yard field goal from Todd Sievers as time expired in the first half, giving the Hurricanes a 24-14 halftime edge.

"There was concern with me [at halftime]," Coker, who is now 15-0 as the Miami coach, said. "The thing is, when you're on the road, you don't like to lose momentum, and we lost momentum."

Everything swung sharply in Miami's favor early in the second half. On Temple's first possession, Sharps fumbled, giving Miami another short field to work with. McGahee scored on a one-yard run a few plays later.

"In the first half we had the opportunity to put the hammer down, and we didn't do it," Dorsey, who was 20 of 35 for 314 yards and two scores, said. "We were able to pull away in the second half."

McGahee scored his fourth touchdown late in the third on a four-yard run.

After the starters had been pulled, Mike Frost threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to Sean Szarka on fourth down to give Temple its final touchdown.

"I'm proud of our players when we fell behind, 21-0," Wallace said. "Our offense played as well as they can."

One of the bright spots for the Owls was the pressure they were able to put on Dorsey. Standout defensive end Dan Klecko sacked Dorsey midway through the second.

"I was glad to finally get him," Klecko said.

The Owls are on the road at South Carolina on Saturday before returning for their last home game at Franklin Field this year on Sept. 28 at noon against Cincinnati.