Alexis Underwood and the Penn women's swimming team, shown in a dual meet against Cornell and Princeton last year, will be affected by the changes in Ivy policy. [Pete Ruscitti/DP File Photo]

In late June, the Council of Ivy Presidents announced a series of changes in the league's policy towards athletics.

At first, it seemed that football would be the only major sport affected.

However, in recent weeks many Penn squads, including men's and women's swimming, have voiced serious concern.

Two of the three regulations specifically targeted football. In the coming year, Ivy football teams will not be allowed to recruit as heavily and must cut down the size of their respective coaching staffs.

Although the first two regulations have undoubtedly affected Ivy League football, it was the third one that will have the most resounding effect across the league.

Each sport at an Ivy League institution must set aside at least seven weeks during the academic year in which its athletes will have no required athletic activity.

Voluntary activity with coaching supervision, common in many sports, will also not be allowed. Captain's practices, also a common substitute for scheduled practices, are also prohibited.

Many Ivy League sports, particularly those that compete year-round, will be forced to rearrange their practice schedules due to the new regulations.

Many squads are already dealing with these new regulations during the first few weeks of school.

The women's rowing team has been unable to practice as a squad thus far due to the new regulations.

The squad voiced concern about the new regulations, especially because many of its competitors are not in the Ivy League and will be able to practice without the regulations.

"The changes affect us a lot," Penn senior rower Sarah Stevenson said. "The competition is going to be practicing. Normally we would be working out, too."

Past crew squads have used the weeks before the start of school to get back into shape and make sure the members of the team are working as a cohesive group.

The crew squads are not the only Penn teams affected.

Gymnastics is another sport that will be affected by the changes, primarily because it is a sport that demands much time and training.

Taking a few weeks off for gymnasts is more severe, because the athletes are more challenged to find ways to train outside of the gym.

The tennis teams, which compete year-round, will struggle to find time to take off.

Penn's tennis teams are also nationally competitive, sending athletes to nationals in the past years. Penn's squads will now be at a distinct disadvantage against its national competitors.

Penn swimming teams traditionally begin practice in the first week of school, but this year they are forced to take a few more weeks off. As a result, preseason training will have to be more intense and cramped.

Although it may be tempting for squads to find ways to work around the regulations, the Ivy League has already warned that any teams found in violation of the terms will be penalized.

"It's giving us a challenge to come up with creative ways to keep the team together," Stevenson said. "We have to find ways to to keep people active. But people that are serious will keep their training up."