School of Arts and Sciences students got a surprise last week when they checked their e-mail -- a faster, more user-friendly SAS Webmail server.

In its ongoing effort to enhance Internet security and update technology, the University recently upgraded the SAS Webmail system.

The updated version of Webmail contains several new features that allow students to access and organize their e-mail more efficiently than before.

These features include saving preferences across sessions, a search engine for finding messages in large in-boxes, a folder that automatically saves sent mail and speed enhancements.

SAS Computing official Brian Doherty explained the upgrade as "moving to a later and more advanced version of Webmail as the technology improves."

Along with the new version of Webmail, an anti-spam filtering system was also implemented to further improve the e-mail server.

By tracking well-known sources of spam e-mail, the system develops rules that are then used to identify the unwanted e-mails as they enter. The spam e-mails are then diverted to a separate folder where they are stored for future viewing.

Ira Winston, who directs computing for SAS and several other University schools, said that "the new version of Webmail provides added security for students accessing their accounts at computers other than their own."

Another added security component for Webmail is Symantec's product Norton Antivirus for E-mail Gateways that scans mail sent to SAS mail users from external hosts for viruses.

As of this month, e-mails are being scanned for viruses before the recipient receives the message. The new security system then notifies both the sender and the recipient when a virus is detected.

Other features of the protective software allow e-mails with infected attachments to be sent separate from the attachment while attempts are made to disinfect it.

Officials say they hope that this will help protect SAS users from viruses, especially in personal computers where anti-virus software may not be current.

Earlier in the year, Webmail was also experiencing problems dealing with the large amounts of volume it was receiving.

Students and faculty registered complaints about the length of time it took to access Webmail.

Information Systems and Computing official Mark Sirota said, "There was a dissatisfaction with Webmail in general around campus."

"They were having slowness problems basically because Webmail is a really ineffective piece of software," Sirota added. "Everyone was having trouble keeping up with the demand."

The problem was fixed earlier in the year and the new version of Webmail also provides for quicker service.

Student reaction to the new Webmail has been positive for the most part, though not everyone immediately noticed the change.

"I didn't really notice much of a difference," College sophomore Anna Halse said.

However, after getting used to the new server, she said, "It took a little time to find the new options, but it's fairly easy and straightforward."

"There hasn't been as much congestion as last time," College sophomore Prem Tumkosit said.

"It's a bit faster and aesthetically more appealing -- so far it's been good."