Ryan Shadis/SP File Photo

Last year, the Penn heavyweight crew team was disappointed in its post-season performance.

At the time the Quakers felt that walking away with a fifth-place finish at the Eastern Sprints was beneath their potential.

They attempted to avenge the finish in the culminating race of the season -- the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta -- but the results were once again poor. The Red and Blue landed in ninth place, matching its worst finish in over 20 years.

So when the Quakers returned to Penn in fall of 2001, they were determined to improve upon the dismal finish from the previous season.

With the help of three experienced seniors -- Paul Falcigno, Mike Parker and Justin Clemow -- along with veteran head coach Stan Bergman, Penn set out to boost its post-season performances.

Unfortunately for the Quakers, this season has been similar to the previous one. Although the crew is decidedly more experienced, it has continued to struggle in the post-season.

On May 20, the Quakers' varsity eight boat finished sixth in the Grand Final of the 2002 Eastern Sprints. Held on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass., the Red and Blue were thumped by a strong Wisconsin squad.

Wisconsin took the overall crown, completing the race with a time of 5:36.60. Harvard won the Ivy title with a time not far off of Wisconsin's. The Crimson finished with a time of 5:38.08.

Penn, with a time of 5:49.59, was a distant sixth, finishing over 11 seconds behind its Ivy rivals.

However, the Red and Blue did receive one encouraging sign from the meet. The Quakers finished first in the Third Level Final of the freshman eight race, with a time of 6:11.84. The freshman boats have been solid performers for the Quakers throughout the 2002 season.

Last weekend, the Red and Blue travelled to Ithaca, N.Y. to take on Cornell for a chance at the Madeira cup.

Cornell, which is notoriously a cellar dweller in Ivy League rowing, surprised the Quakers, winning all of the weekend's races.

The Big Red ran away with the weekend, defeating Penn's varsity eight boat by a full eight seconds.

Cornell's top boat finished in 6:00.08, while Penn crossed the finish line in 6:08.00.

Unfortunately, Ithaca's Cayuga Lake was unfriendly to the Quakers, who claimed the Madeira Cup with ease just one year ago.

The Quakers were close to notching victories in the freshman eight race and the varsity four race.

At the novice level, the Quakers finished in 6:22.40 with Cornell only four seconds ahead at 6:18.90.

In the varsity four boat, Cornell edged past the Quakers, winning in a time of 6:51.00, with Penn not far behind at 6:55.90.

Although the Red and Blue have thus far failed to improve their post-season performance, they have not lost all hope.

This weekend the Quakers travel to Cooper River in Camden, N.J., for the IRA Championships. The Red and Blue will attempt to avenge their discouraging ninth-place finish from last season.

This regatta will be the last time this season for the Quakers to prove themselves.

For Penn's top three seniors -- Falcigno, Parker and Clemow -- this is their last time to put all of their experience to use.

Last year, Penn coach Bergman believed the Quakers had a shot at a medal and with hard work, that opportunity would present itself again.

The time has come for the Red and Blue to perform, and so the rough waters of the Cooper River will be waiting.