Penn second basemen Courtney Dilts broke up Villanova pitcher Shannon Williams' no-hitter in the fifth inning of yesterday's game.[Jenny WInston/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Penn softball team found out how good city rival Villanova's pitching was yesterday.

Coming into the game, 'Nova's staff ERA stood an impressive 0.73. After shutting out the Quakers (12-29) twice -- 5-0, and 11-0 -- the Wildcats ERA dropped even further.

'Nova pitcher Shannon Williams had a perfect game through the fourth inning during the first of the twinbill before Penn freshman Courtney Dilts hit a single.

Yet, Dilts single led to little more as the Quakers' threat was ended soon there after without any runs scoring.

"The focus was not on the perfect game," Dilts said, "but getting runs across."

Getting runs across has been a major trouble spot for the team.

Penn senior third basemen Jen Moore attributes the Quakers' struggles to a lack of clutch hitting and not the strength of the opposition.

"The runners have been in position," she said, "but we have not gotten it done."

And against Villanova, Penn certainly had ample opportunity to knock in a few runs. Yet, clutch hitting once again was the cause of the Quakers' demise.

"They have played some good teams," she said. "I did not think their pitchers were that spectacular. We just did not hit."

Penn's hitting woes have comes as a result of their unwillingness to take chances at the plate -- or as Dilts called it, a lack of "aggressiveness."

She believes that the batters need to start swinging at the first pitch and not allow themselves to get behind in the count.

"We have been too timid at the plate," Dilts said. "We have to hit the first pitch instead of getting behind in the count."

The Quakers have resolved themselves to taking a new approach to the remaining games in the regular season. First up, is this weekend's matchup with Ivy rivals Brown and Yale.

Penn should "not dwell on what happened and take a new perspective on these next six games and shake things up on the Ivy League a bit," Moore said.

And Dilts agrees with her teammates assessment.

"We definitely want to take these last games on a high note," she said.

With a goal of ending the season on a high note, the Quakers will aim to play a role of spoiler -- a task that they think will suit them quite well.

"I think everybody is not going to take us seriously," Moore said. "We have a lot of talent, and we do not get it done as far as getting runners across the plate."

The Quakers have lost 10 of 11 games and have yet to pick up a win in the Ivy League. As such, their games at Warren Field this weekend take on a greater meaning.

"We are looking for our first Ivy League win," Dilts said.