While many of their fellow Penn students were enjoying a relaxing week on the Florida beaches, the Penn softball team traveled south for a week of competition that was anything but restful.

The Quakers finished their 14- game stint at the Rebel Winter Games in Orlando, Fla., with a disappointing 4-10 record.

"I can't say that we were pleased," said Penn sophomore pitcher Nicole Borgstadt. "But we ended strong and learned from our mistakes."

The Red and Blue, who were 2-2 going into the Games, started off the competition on a high note, winning their first game against St. Xavier, 3-2.

Penn took an early lead with junior Crista Farrell hitting a double to centerfield and scoring on a single by senior Jennifer Moore. With a strong outing from junior righthander Rebecca Ranta, the Quakers made this slim margin hold up.

Another highlight for the Quakers came in a decisive 9-1 victory over Bowling Green on Tuesday -- ending a three-game losing streak.

Ranta was again dominant, pitching a no-hitter until the fifth inning. And the Red and Blue's offense didn't let her down.

The Quakers continue to rack up runs until the Falcons were forced to concede in the eighth inning.

Moore, along with junior Deborah Kowalchuk, sophomore Veronica Richardson and freshman Samantha Matherne each knocked in two runs. The other two were scored by senior Lindsay Wagner and freshman Courtney Dilts.

"The offense was really awesome," Borgstadt said. "They are a really good team."

After the win over Bowling Green, the Quakers suffered a five-game skid falling to Toledo, Stetson, Tennessee-Martin, George Mason and Monmouth.

"We just weren't coming together as a team," Borgstadt said. "There were times when the defense was great, but we weren't hitting, and there were times when the offense was great, but the defense wasn't."

The Quakers managed to pull everything together in the end, however, with a 3-1 victory over Troy State.

While Penn scored all of its runs in a three-run first inning, the Quakers didn't need any more offense as Borgstadt threw a complete game one-hitter.

"It was a good team and we just really rose to the occasion," Borgstadt said. "And we were able to put runs on the board."

The momentum from the final game leaves the Red and Blue with a positive outlook for the remainder of their season.

"It gave us a lot of confidence," Borgstadt said. "We played our best games against the better teams, and we'll take the same approach with teams like Cornell, Princeton and Harvard."

Penn returns home to Warren Field on Thrusday to face Lafayette. The Quakers defeated the Leopards in both games last year.