Penn junior Christina Verigan (left), coming off a sabre victory against Princeton last weekend, will vie for another win against Ivy foes Cornell and Columbia. [Danny Choi/DP File Photo]

The Penn women's fencing team, who recently vaulted into the No. 10 position on the USFCA College Fencing Coaches' Poll, has a chance to move even higher when they face the No. 1 and No. 2-ranked teams this weekend.

This Saturday, the Penn women's fencing squad will host Cornell, Columbia, Penn State and St. John's in a multi-meet at Hutchinson Gymnasium.

No. 1 St John's and No. 2 Penn State, schools that recruit heavily and have strong fencing programs, will pose the most serious threat to the Quakers this weekend.

While in-state rival Penn State (13-0) boasts an unblemished record on the year, the Red Storm (11-1) suffered a loss to Rutgers the last time they fenced, 14-13, on Feb. 4.

Four days later, the Quakers routed the Scarlet Knights, 20-7.

"If we beat [Penn State and St. John's], it might shock the other coach, Penn coach Dave Michanik said. "But, it wouldn't shock me."

However, while victories over the two non-conference rivals would be key momentum boosters, defeating league foes the Big Red (6-5, 1-3 Ivy), and the No. 9 Lions (6-4, 3-1) are higher on Penn's list of weekend goals.

"The most important matches are going to be with Columbia and Cornell," Penn sabre competitor Christina Verigan said.

While the Quakers boast an impressive 12-3 overall record and are 9-1 in their last 10 matches, Penn heads into its last home match of the season with a 1-2 Ivy record.

The two league opponents, therefore, hold the key to a possible 3-2 record in the Ancient Eight.

"While it is important to beat teams like Penn State and St. John's, the matches that really count are the Ivies," epeeist Liz Kreidman said. "We have two left so this weekend will determine our final standing."

With the pair of Ivy matchups looming as the most important weekend matches, Penn can look back into last season's results to find some confidence.

With a daunting task ahead, the Quakers remain poised and focused on victory this weekend.

"We want to do well, but that goes for all our meets," Penn sophomore eppeist Karen Siegal said.

Last season on Feb. 24, the Red and Blue defeated tough squads from Columbia and Cornell on the same weekend at the Penn State Multi-Meet.

The much-improved Quakers are primed for a repeat. The Red and Blue have added strong freshmen, such as Emanuelle Humblet, creating a much deeper squad.

Still, Columbia and Cornell have also gotten better.

However difficult a repeat performance may be, it is what the Quakers say they are looking for.

"It's going to be a fight uphill," Penn captain Mindy Nyguen said, "both ways in the snow."