What a difference a year makes.

The Penn women's squash team is living proof that a lot can change in just the span of one season.

Last year, the squad made it to the semifinal round of the national tournament, only to be knocked off by Ivy rival Harvard.

In 2000, the Red and Blue claimed the national title under head coach Demer Holleran.

But in the 2001-02 season, things have shaped up to be quite different.

The Quakers have only won three matches so far this season -- over Haverford, Franklin and Marshall, and Amherst. The win over Amherst occurred on Jan. 21, nearly one month ago.

Since then, it has been a tumultuous ride of losses for the Red and Blue.

Nevertheless, the Quakers remain hopeful, realizing that this year is one for rebuilding.

This weekend, Penn heads to the Howe Cup, where it seeks to redeem this season. The tournament begins today and will last through Sunday afternoon.

Howe Cup serves as the national championship for both men's and women's squash.

This year, the tournament will be hosted at Yale University.

Division "A" is the flight of teams that will vie for the national title.

The Quakers drew a slot in division "B," along with Bates, Bowdoin, Middlebury, St. Lawrence Colby, Amherst and Wellesley.

Penn squares off against Colby at 10:30 a.m. From then on, Penn's opposition depends on its own success.

So far, the Red and Blue's most successful player has been Runa Reta at the No. 1 position.

Reta, who returned to Penn in mid-January after having spent a semester abroad in Australia, has returned to dominance with little difficulty.

Dafna Wegner has also been successful, winning at the No. 2 slot last weekend against Ancient Eight opponent Dartmouth. Linda McNair, who followed at No. 3, beat her opponent as well.

Due to being in the "B" Division, the highest the Red and Blue can finish is No. 9 in the national rankings at the end of the season.