The 2001-02 Penn women's basketball team has a tough act to follow.

Last season, led by a pair of seniors, Diana Caramanico -- the best women's basketball player to ever don a Penn uniform -- and Erin Ladley, the Quakers finished with their first-ever 20-game winning streak, registered the most wins in the program's history (22), clinched their first-ever Ivy championship(with a perfect 14-0 record in Ancient Eight play) and made their first trip to the NCAA Tournament.

By far, the best season in program history.

"Last year was really awesome," sophomore guard Jewel Clark said. "Winning the Ivies, making it to the NCAA Tournament was really great. This year, we are going to have to do it again."

In order to do it again, head coach Kelly Greenberg recognizes that the first challenge facing this year's team will be replacing the scoring and rebounding of Caramanico and Ladley. The senior duo averaged a combined 34.7 points per game and 14.6 rebounds per game last season.

Losing the two big bodies, however, will enable the Quakers to adapt a more exciting pace of play.

"We're going to have a much different look this year," Greenberg said. "No longer is it going to be about getting the ball inside to Diana. We're going to look to run."

With five freshman recruits in the mix -- headlined by 6-foot-2 center Katie Kilker (Conwell Egan/ Langhorne, Pa.), who is battling for a spot in the Quakers' starting five with 5-foot-9 junior Ima Abia -- the Quakers will have to rely on their more experienced players to take the initiative in the new fast-break offense until the freshmen become acclimated to the collegiate game.

"I think that one of my biggest nightmares is going into a game and not being able to score," Greenberg said. "Early in the season, with all of the new faces, it might be a struggle. This is where we will need our captains to take charge."

Leading the way for the Quakers will senior tri-captain Julie Epton. The 6-foot forward averaged a career-high 9.7 ppg to go along with 6.1 rpg last season, and Greenberg believes Epton is ready to take the next step and become the team's scoring leader.

"Julie Epton can score," Greenberg said. "She can shoot the mid-range jump shot and she can score inside."

Along with Epton, a pair of junior guards -- 5-foot-4 Tara Twomey and 6-foot Jennifer Jones -- were anointed captains during the off season.

The offensive general for the Quakers, Twomey is a pesky point guard, in the Steve Wojciechowski mold. Short in stature but not in heart, Twomey led the Red and Blue and was fourth in the Ivy League with 3.3 assists per game. She used the offseason to prepare for her increased role in the Quaker offense.

"I played in summer leagues in Philly, where I worked on my shooting," Twomey said. "I also worked hard in the weight room, lifting all summer to increase my strength."

While averaging 6.7 ppg and 4.0 rpg, Jones emerged as the emotional team leader last season.

"Jen is an all around strong character player that her teammates love being around," Greenberg said. "The girls respect her tireless effort and they follow her example."

The future of the Quakers, however, lies not with the captains, but rather within the capable grasp of Clark.

After being named to the All-Rookie team last season, the explosive 6-foot guard will look to improve upon her first year totals -- 9.1 ppg and 6.2 rpg -- as she is now the No. 2 option in the Penn offense.

"Jewel is just an awesome talent," Greenberg said. "As we get into the game, Jewel is motivated by competition. We've just got to get her to think to score more often."

Besides figuring out new ways to score, the Quakers -- picked No. 2 in the Ivy League preseason poll, behind Harvard -- are going to have to adjust to playing the role of favorite.

"As the reigning champs, teams are going to be gunning for us," Jones said. "We're going to be ready to take them on."

With the Quakers' emerging young stars, top freshman talent and breakneck speed of play, Penn promises to put on a heck of a show.

"If nothing else, we're going to be pretty exciting," Greenberg said.