Penn sophomore Abbi Gleeson finished first in Saturday's La Salle Invitational. [Stefan Milchev/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Penn women's cross country front-runner Abbi Gleeson really kicked it up a notch at this Saturday's La Salle Invitational.

With a time of 18 minutes and 22 seconds -- the third fastest in course history -- Gleeson won the individual title in the Quakers' only home meet held at Belmont Plateau.

But this victory was no fluke.

Gleeson had a clear-cut strategy in mind and felt confident going into the race.

"I had planned where I was going to start my kick," she said.

Because the Red and Blue were on home turf, Gleeson knew exactly where on the course she could accelerate to take the lead.

"I usually start with my kick with 400 meters left, but this time I knew I could do it for the last mile," she said.

Strategizing is nothing new to Gleeson, however. Starting at the age of five, she competed in the demanding sport of figure skating.

Gleeson continued skating for the next 13 years, where she learned many skills which she uses in cross country today.

"Self-discipline is a huge thing in figure skating," she said. "That really helps me with cross country."

Gleeson also learned to manage her time and push herself in figure skating. With daily four-hour workouts, three-and-a-half of which were unsupervised, she was forced to become a regimented individual athlete, constantly challenging herself.

As she put it, "You really have to know how to push yourself."

Although the similarities between the two sports have served Gleeson well, she sees cross country as different in many ways.

"In skating you're off on your own," she said. "Cross country has the whole team aspect, which I really like."

In addition to these distinctions, Gleeson enjoys being part of a team and representing Penn.

This Saturday's individual victory only goes to fuel Gleeson's confidence. She sees the first-place finish as a "big confidence booster."

In addition, she will take elevated expectations away from the Invitational.

"I knew I was in better shape than last year, but it showed me how I compare to the [runners from the] other teams," she said. "I think it will help me go into other meets with more confidence."

With an impressive second-place finish, the entire Quakers squad will share in that added confidence.

The team's strategy on Saturday was to take La Salle head on.

Before the race, Penn coach Crickett Batz-Shaklee told the team, "They think they're superior. Let's try and scare them."

And the Red and Blue responded to her challenge. After Gleeson, the next four Penn finishers all crossed the line within four seconds of each other, and all scored in the top 10.

Running in a pack, all the runners verbally encouraged each other throughout the race.

"I liked that they were together," Batz-Shaklee said. "They showed a lot of teamwork."

After a three-week hiatus, Penn hopes to use this strong showing as a springboard for their upcoming meets, most notably the Paul Short Memorial on Oct. 6.