Even Trey Best's fine weekend couldn't pull the Quakers out of the gloom.

Best, a senior, shot a combined 152, leading the Penn men's golf team with a 76 both days at the Temple Invitational.

But, on a windy, rainy weekend, the Penn men's golf team finished seventh overall in the tournament.

"I was very pleased with Trey's performance," Penn assistant coach Heath Davidson said. "He overcame a shaky start both days and hung in there."

Best shot five birdies over the course of the weekend and led the team in a tournament for the first time this season.

The Quakers shot a combined 623 at the Glen Moore National Golf Course during the two-day invitational. The team was in fourth place in a 14-team field after day one.

Penn hit a wall on Sunday, however.

"We had a decent first day, but I was disappointed on day two," Davidson said. "The weather conditions were difficult, and they helped show our weaknesses. It was a learning experience."

"We had a rough second day," said Penn senior captain Mike Russell, who was particularly critical of his own performance. "I putted great, but my approach shots were terrible. I only made two greens all day."

Despite his own accomplishment, Best's positive attitude was somewhat tempered by the team's overall performance.

"I would like to win as a team," he said. "It's nice to succeed as an individual, but I would rather have the team do well."

Other Quakers turned in noteworthy performances. Junior Chad Perman played well, shooting a 74 on day one of the tournament. He finished tied for 23rd place overall. Russell tied for 34th place, and junior Peyton Wallace tied for 40th.

Russell, though disappointed with his own play and the team's, was encouraged by Best's performance.

"A different person has stepped up each week, and most teams don't have that. That's a very positive thing." the team captain said. "Our team is solid. If each of us had a good day, we could do very well."

Davidson echoed those sentiments.

"We could be a pretty formidable opponent," he said. "We certainly have enough talent to do that."

"Each of us feels as though we could have played better," admitted Best. "We had played well up to [last weekend's] tournament. We're just looking to put it together."

The Quakers hope to become more consistent this weekend at the Lehigh Invitational, which will be held Oct. 12-13 in Bethlehem, Pa.

"We're looking to win this weekend," Best said. "We weren't happy at all with our performance last weekend."