As the clock struck 12:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Penn football team's home opener against Holy Cross, a somber opening dedication to the victims of the New York, Pennsylvania and Washington attacks was quickly washed away by a wave of spirit.

The Quakers rushed the field, the cheerleaders chanted, the crowd jumped to its feet. Even the weather corresponded, as gray skies disbanded and sunlight cascaded over the Franklin Field turf.

And while the visiting side housed a small clump of passive fans, the home side packed itself with most of the 11,722 fans in attendance.

During the first half, spirit surged every time the Red and Blue dissected the Crusaders with a precision pass or rumbled downfield with their unrelenting ground attack.

"It's really good that Penn has such a good team this year," College sophomore Stephen Correll said. "And it's great that we're going to repeat as Ivy League champs."

"I try to make three or four games every year," spectator Watt Walker said while indulging in a hot dog at halftime. "I find [games] pleasurable, they take me back to being a kid."

As the second half commenced and fans shuffled back to their seats, energy waned. Two minutes in, however, four shirtless souls paraded back-and-forth waving their arms to induce crowd support. They were well-received.

"This is tradition," said College sophomore Jason Levy, a member of that shirtless quartet. "We did this every game last year, we'll do it every game this year and we have two more years to go."

Even though the fans appreciated the topless tradition, nothing was more celebrated --nor more highly anticipated -- than the third-quarter toasting of the field.

"[The game] was great," said Penn mother Jill Muth of her first Penn football game. "It was such an experience, especially the toast."

The crowd died down considerably after the the toast was thrown. Before the fourth quarter, fans left their seats for the gates. The romping gave fans little to watch in the fourth, as the Quakers showed mercy by slowing down their attack.

With every five-yard run, more and more of the crowd filed out of the stadium.

And by the time the clock hit triple zeroes and the score stood at 43-7, there were more players on the field than fans in the stands.