In most sports, teammates try to avoid taking each other out of competition.

Yet this weekend in the Singles ITA Eastern Regional Tennis Championships, two teammates may have to do the equivalent.

With two members of the Penn men's tennis team, Fanda Stejskal and junior captain Ryan Harwood, receiving first-round byes, two Quakers meeting in the later rounds is a distinct possibility.

Tennis, unlike most other team sports, has individual as well as team competitions. This weekend's tournament is the most prestigious individual competition of the year.

Such a situation puts a coach in a difficult situation.

Penn coach Mark Riley has a simple solution to the problem: "I just get the water and towel," and avoid coaching either player, he said.

"By its nature [tennis is] not a team sport," Stejskal said.

Even if he were to beat a teammate in the championships, Stejskal does not feel that it would be an issue.

"It's not like we hate each other -- someone has to lose," he said.

Riley feels that the tournament is especially wide open this year, as Yale's David Burke, last years' Ivy League Champion, will not be competing.

Many are especially confident about Stejskal's ability to win the entire tournament.

"[I] can definitely beat anyone that's playing there," Stejskal said.

"I think if [Stejskal] plays well and gets through his first few matches [he has a chance to win]," Riley agreed.

For two Quakers, this week represents a chance for back-to-back victories. Last week, Stejskal and junior Andy Kolker won the A and B draws respectively in the Penn Classic.

"[The victory] definitely helps. [Tennis is a] mental sport, so it gives you confidence," Stejskal said.