Senior forward Nikki Battiste, who led Penn with nine tallies last year, scored her first goal of the season last night in a 2-1 loss to Villanova on Franklin Field. [Angie Louie/DP File Photo]

On Saturday, the Penn field hockey team won for the first time in 347 days.

Yesterday, the Quakers hoped to do the almost-unprecedented -- win for the second time in four days. But a pair of deflections spoiled those hopes.

Villanova (6-4) netted two redirection goals to top Penn, 2-1, at Franklin Field last night.

The loss, however, hasn't spoiled the Quakers' spirits. Their days-without-a-win streak is now at four, but quite obviously, that's not a concern.

"We're excited, we're pumped," Penn senior Nikki Battiste said. "We still have that confidence."

Not to say that Penn (1-6) is rejoicing after last night's result. But the Quakers gave up three fewer goals than they did in last year's game. And the Wildcats are pretty good -- they took top-20 team William and Mary into overtime earlier in the season.

Still, Penn went down early and never fully recovered.

"I think we just need to score first, to get that momentum," Battiste said.

Villanova scored just over six minutes into the game when freshman Stephanie Mayhart's shot was deflected in by Stephanie Vrettos.

Twelve-and-a-half minutes later, Mayhart was the one redirecting a shot -- this one from Krissy Malchitsky -- for a score.

Penn cut the deficit to one before halftime when Anna Mitcell assisted Battiste on a goal, the latter's first of the season.

"Anna carried it up the right side and sent a cross ball to me and it got my stick," said Battiste, who netted nine goals last year. "It was a great cross."

Penn had its opportunities to tie the game in the second half. The Quakers outshot the Wildcats, 8-6, in the final 35 minutes.

Junior midfielder Kylee Jakobowski, the hero of Saturday's win, took two of those shots.

"Basically I had two opportunities within the last two minutes," she said. "One went wide left and one was wide right."

That was typical of yesterday. Penn's shots were often just off the mark, or off the cage.

Villanova, meanwhile, scored both its goals with a little bit of luck.

"It doesn't matter," Jakobowski said. "A goal is a goal."

But a loss, as close as it was, is still a loss.

Penn's next opportunity for a victory comes tomorrow, in a home game against La Salle.